• no

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • depends

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

shaglo

Jun 8, 2008
hi my name is Shane i am new to your place

the reason i joined was to get an opinion i bought an RM-Z450 suzuki and the bike had gone for its 1st service after about 15 hours of riding i developed a noise in the motor like something was loose so i took it in they told me the motor was busy seizing as their was not enough oil in the bike what i would like to know is where did the oil go as the bike was not smoking neither was it leaking oil :cool: maybe somebody could explain to me as my general dealer told me that the bike uses oil at a rate of about 200ml per ride [2 hours ] my e- mail adress is shaneevans@telkomsa.net
Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
All of the current crop of single compression ring engines tend to use oil. You need to check the oil level before EVERY RIDE.

If you look in the service manual you'll see that 15 hours is the recommended time to change the piston and rings. This is a real race engine not a trailbike, so you should probably give some thought to rethinking your maintenance practices.

shaglo

Jun 8, 2008
thank you for the reply at least i am learning i am new to moto-x bikes and was actually told by the dealer that this was a very LOW MAINTENANCE bike!!!! like really hey

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
shaglo said:
thank you for the reply at least i am learning i am new to moto-x bikes and was actually told by the dealer that this was a very LOW MAINTENANCE bike!!!! like really hey

It's worth investing in the factory service manual. There is a fairly complete maintenance schedule you can use as a guide.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
shaglo said:
my general dealer told me that the bike uses oil at a rate of about 200ml per ride [2 hours ] [/email]
Thanks

That might be a realistic number. I know my Honda has used a little oil everytime I ride (and I expected it to). Of course, I glance at the oil level window after every ride and add a little if necessary.

As far as changing the piston and rings on a 450 after 15 hours - it's not on my maintenance schedule and never will be. Of course, if you run low on oil (or coolant), you'll need a piston and rings long before that. Or maybe if you're stinkin' fast you'll need to change the rings every 15 hours. Glad I'm slow. :nener:

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
I have noticed on my 07 KX450 that it does drop only around .25 to .50 cc's after a lot of riding so I only usually only add about 100 cc's about every third or so rides, I have started adding a couple of oz's of synthetic 2 stroke pre-mix to 5 gallons of gas or so, just tryin to extend the piston and ring life, I usually only trail ride on the weekends so I don't think I will have to change the rings very soon, no smoking or leaking so I wont be worrying about that for a while. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
destructo said:
I have noticed on my 07 KX450 that it does drop only around .25 to .50 cc's after a lot of riding so I only usually only add about 100 cc's about every third or so rides, I have started adding a couple of oz's of synthetic 2 stroke pre-mix to 5 gallons of gas or so, just tryin to extend the piston and ring life, I usually only trail ride on the weekends so I don't think I will have to change the rings very soon, no smoking or leaking so I wont be worrying about that for a while. :cool:
:think: How long do you go on your oil changes?

:think: How will adding premix extend piston life?

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
destructo said:

premix in a 4-stroke? :whoa:

-what ever floats your boat

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
destructo said:
I have noticed on my 07 KX450 that it does drop only around .25 to .50 cc's after a lot of riding so I only usually only add about 100 cc's about every third or so rides,

HA! I change the oil that much..

Every 5 or 6 I change the filter.

You must not like that engine very much, or you must not really ride it much every ride.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Umm, yeah. I usually add about a quart and a quarter "after alot of riding".

I'll be watching for your "I can't understand why bike seized up" thread.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
destructo said:
Good luck with adding two stroke oil to your fuel. Probably won't hurt but also unlikely to help.At least it will smell right.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Tom68 said:
Good luck with adding two stroke oil to your fuel. Probably won't hurt but also unlikely to help.At least it will smell right.

Ummm, I don't think extra carbon build-up from that 2t oil will do the valves/seats/seals any good. All the parts in a 4t that need lube get it from the ENIGNE OIL. The piston is oiled from the bottom and the valves from the top. There is no need for lube inside the combustion chamber. Adding premix isn't a bandaid for slacking on oil changes.

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
_JOE_ said:
:think: How long do you go on your oil changes?

:think: How will adding premix extend piston life?

I ride usually only one day per weekend only a couple of hours each time so I usually change it about once a month, maybe 8 hours or so of riding per change. I ride my 2 strokes alot more than my 4.
And with the addition of 2t oil just a little more lubrication for the ring and cylinder, because when the fuel explodes in the cylinder the oil goes on the cylinder walls helping the piston and ring lubricate better, also lubes the intake valves.

Last edited:

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
_JOE_ said:
Umm, yeah. I usually add about a quart and a quarter "after alot of riding".

I'll be watching for your "I can't understand why bike seized up" thread.

I dont race with throttle pinned around a moto track, mostly moderate to quick trail riding, air filter is cleaned and reoiled after each days ride and if my motor pops there will be no cryin outta me I'll just rebuild it. The oil still looks new everytime I replace it, nice transparent honey color, Looking to replace it back to anouther 2 stroke any way, 4t's just aren't as exciting as the 2 smokers.

Last edited:

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Ummm, I don't think extra carbon build-up from that 2t oil will do the valves/seats/seals any good. All the parts in a 4t that need lube get it from the ENIGNE OIL. The piston is oiled from the bottom and the valves from the top. There is no need for lube inside the combustion chamber. Adding premix isn't a bandaid for slacking on oil changes.
Correct but he did say a couple of ounces to a tank, 2 stroke oil is made to pass through the combustion chamber without doing any harm, Not that they had valve seats in mind, and everytime a 4 stroke gets an inlet charge in the bore it mixes with the residual oil on the cylinder wall and burns it, thats where oil consumption comes from, 4 stroke oil doesn't go threw the chamber as harmlessly.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, motor oil doesn't burn well at all. I've seen some pistons come out caked up from worn rings and valve seals. If you have good oil ring seal there should be little to no oil in the combustion chamber.

I'm pretty sure lead is/was used as a lubricant in fuel.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
destructo said:
And with the addition of 2t oil just a little more lubrication for the ring and cylinder, because when the fuel explodes in the cylinder the oil goes on the cylinder walls helping the piston and ring lubricate better, also lubes the intake valves.
Hmmm.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
destructo said:

Thank you. I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I had to pour some of my bike mix (32:1; 927 castor/synth oil) in my lawnmower to finish the yard the other day. Doubt it helped the engine any, but man did it smell awesome!! It reminded me of when I was 10 years old flying little Cox .049 engines. I think I'll just keep doing this so I only have to keep one container for mower, weed eater, and bike.

Top Bottom