sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
Hi, unduer if this is the correct area to post but its not model specific. anyway ive looked and havent found anything covering this in which i would like it answered. my question is, in an oil injected 2-stroke engine do you have to put oil injector oil in the tank or can you put the premix stuf in the tank? whats the difference? is one thicker? thanks

Feb 13, 2009
My freind has a oil injection 2 stroke and he said that the oil injector supplies oil to the crank bearings directly and if running just plain pre-mix in the tank the oil will not get to the other imortant parts that the oil pressure did get to.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
In most cases you can remove and disable to oil injector pump, and run premix instead.

Never run both, you'll be running way too much oil.

Not sure of your particular setup, since you didn't mention what bike you are talking about.

But give some more details, and I'm sure there will have been someone on here who has dealt with it before and can give you better information about how to bypass the pump, if that's what you intend to do.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Oh.. yeah, I don't think there would be much of an issue with that.

A buddy of mine had a Suzuki with an oil injector that he just ran regular Belray Premix oil in, and never had a problem.

Other opinions on her may vary.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
As mentioned above you should make sure that no bearings are directly oiled using the injection set up. Some applications oil other bearings, for example on my sled the water pump bearings are oiled via the injection pump.

I'm not familiar with that bike but is it cable driven? Sometimes you can just unhook the cable and run pre mix

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
my 73 kawi oils the crank bearings from the pump. You can tell if you inspect the pump. If it's oiling the bearings there will be an oil line from the pump directly into the crankcase. If the only output line goes into the cylinder or carb boot you're probably ok to unhook the pump and run premix.

I really don't know why people like to disable these though. If the pump is in good working order it will supply the correct amount of oil needed for a given RPM and throttle position rather than just the same mix all the time. There's no fouling plugs from too much low speed operation, or lack of oil if you ride pinned too long. My kawi's oil injection is rated to push a 100:1 mix at idle, up to a 20:1 mix at WOT and high RPM. Pretty darn nifty.

J.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am not sure sm7482 ever got the answer he was looking for.

If you have a two stroke that has a separate oil reservoir and oil injection then you put the two stroke in that reservoir. You would use the exact same two stroke oil that you would use if you pre-mixed it with the gas. There is no special two stroke oil intended for injection systems.

Rod

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah, injection and premix oil are different products. I have always used premix oil in my injector and never had a problem. I think as stated above the injector oil is a bit thinner.

J.

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
yeah you all helped i have the answer i needed. my main question was was it ok to run premix oil in the oil resivoir for an oil injected bike. thanks for the help

Top Bottom