briank1542

Jul 15, 2008
Hello forums are new to me but I have A 96 kdx 200 it smokes more than I would like the top and bottom were rebuilt 3 years ago than sat for 3 years I use yamaha r lube 45-1 do they all smoke prior to this bike I have just worked on vintage stuff thanks

Kaleel

May 6, 2008
They're all gonna smoke the only question is how much. My '01 used to smoke pretty badly but it was running way lean. It was spitting a bunch of black sludge out of the back pipe and it didn't matter what pre-mix I used.

I bought and installed a Rad valve, went two sizes lower on the main jet and put the carb needle clip to the center position and the sludge problem is literally gone.

As a result I'm getting much less smoke. Try leaning the mixture out by adjusting the carb needle. If that doesn't work then you might want to try a leaner main jet or a combination of the two.

Good luck.

Mike

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
hey, I'm having the same sludge problem on my 98. when you say two sizes lower on the main jet, do you mean a lower number? I'm pretty sure my needle clip is already in the center. I have a fmf pipe and silencer. I'm running klotz techno plate at 40-1. how much effect do you think the rad valve had? thanks

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
thanks for the link, i read thru it briefly, i happened to have a 155 main jet so i put it in to replace the 160 that was in it. I live too close to town to do a real plug check but i noticed at wot in 6th there was like a miss. the old plug was very oily. it is still spraying sludge out but i'm sure the silencer is dripping with oil.

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
so did you use a 145 main and 45 pilot for a 220 or a 160 and 48 for a 200? I have fmf pipe and silencer. I have a 200, set up like the fmf specs say and it is way to rich I guess.

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
i put in a 45 pilot and a 150 main and no more sludge on the fender! I feel like an idiot tho for not doing it sooner. it's also got a little more of that great 2 stroke snap in the power band.

briank1542

Jul 15, 2008
I learned A bunch from the responses thanks very much, but I am still having A smoke problem I am going to try A 140 main and A 42 pilot I ride about 2500-4000 feet also 1 colder on the plug ? the mix is 45-1 yamaha r-lube maybe just the wrong oil? I can live with some smoke I have A kx 125 which smokes A little but not A cloud

Top Bottom