KDX 1009

Jun 15, 2003
I have a small oil leek around the gear leaver of my 97 KDX 200 its not a bad leek but I notice 1 or 2 oil drops around my gear leaver. My question is, is this serious? should i bother to replace the seal around the gear leaver? And is it hard to do?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Thats a real good question. I have a 98 200 with exactly the same problem. As you say only 1 or 2 drops and I also would be extremely thankful if anyone could give us some info...Thanx all n G'day KDX 1009...Where in
Oz are you??...Im in Sydney..

Trev

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Sounds like a shift shaft seal. I imagine it is the same porcedure to replace as a counter shaft seal. Just pry the old one out, make note of any washers or o-rings that come with it. I like to use a deep socket that fits the circumference of the seal to drive it into the cases. Just make sure it is perfectly square before you start pounding on it. Oh ya, remove the shifter before you start this job. ;)

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Sounds like a shift shaft seal. I imagine it is the same porcedure to replace as a counter shaft seal. Just pry the old one out, make note of any washers or o-rings that come with it. I like to use a deep socket that fits the circumference of the seal to drive it into the cases. Just make sure it is perfectly square before you start pounding on it. Oh ya, remove the shifter before you start this job. ;)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Either drain the oil or lean the bike on RHS. It may help to drive some self tapping screws into the seal to pull on to get it out. Usually when I replace the seals it is with the shaft out. Have a look at the shaft & see if it is grooved real bad or if the shaft is bent.

When sliding the seal over the serrated bit either wrap some thin tape &/or grease it.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Very limited !!!! Theres only a handful of legal places here and its rare to get out for a ride more than 2 weeks in a row just because of the difficulty in getting to them... Well the seal sounds like a fairly straight forward job so ill give it a go and see how it is... Thanx again to all and Happy Trails ...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom