OK, I know you old timers here must get sick of this, but...

bocephous

Mar 15, 2005
OK, I know you old timers here must get sick of this, but...edited

I already introduced myself in a previous KX500 thread, but a little background might help y'all with a question I've got. I've been out of the dirt for 14 years and am now ready to jump back into it and purchase a bike. Previous experience...Lotsa trail riding as a teen, and some Novice racing at a local (then) track in NE PA called Hurricane Hills. Nine year hiatus, then got into the street bike thing with a Honda Shadow, Yamaha FZ1, and now an R1. I am 5'11" and 220 lbs, and in excellent physical shape. I will be splitting my riding time 50/50 track and trail here in sandy Florida. My budget is mid $5000's, and have already decided to buy a new bike. After my experience with Yamaha street bikes, and reading up on their dirt bikes, I have decided on a Yamaha. Considering my weight, would a YZ250F be under-suspended and/or underpowered? I'm down to that or a YZ250, and since many of you have one, the other, or both, your opinions are my only valuable source for an informed decision on my part. Bottom line is 220 lb novice needs advice on YZ250F or YZ250. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I was out of dirtbikes for about 20 years and got back to 'em on a KX500. Why did you give up on that idea? For sand riding, a big bore is da bomb and with the bottom end power, trail riding is great too.

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Little steps

Start with the YZ250 with a flywheel as previously noted. With your size and riding in sand this is the minimum. Once you get your riding skills in tune again, between your size and the sand go bigger. Sand likes torque and horse power. Second to that it requires speed to stay on top of it.

CK

Mar 29, 2005
If I recall, the 250F has about 32 hp and won't ride like the 125 class bikes you may or may not remember. The XR400 has the same hp for comparison.

You can always buy a one year old used one and if you don't like it, sell it and not lose much money. I won't buy brand new anymore and I haven't lost as much money as a result. Makes it easier to justify to the Mrs. too.

Have you owned or ridden a recent thumper? You might like it and you might not. Personally, here in the desert, the 2-stroke 250 is my choice. I had open class 2 strokes and they're a blast in the open areas, but not so fun in the tighter trails. I've ridden the 450 thumpers and I gotta say, the CR is an amazing bike, but it's not as flickable as a 250. The 125's are just too slow for me now, but the 250 thumpers might be that little in-between bike like the 200 two strokes are. Nothings perfect, so go get one and ride. It won't make much difference once you do.

bocephous

Mar 15, 2005
Well, I finally decided on a bike and I'm picking it up tomorrow. While perusing the Cycle Trader online for various two stroke 250's here in Florida, I came across an ad from a dealer for 2005 new KX250's for $4299 plus tax, tag, first born, etc. I called the dealership and asked one of the salesmen if it was a misprint. He said that they had originally ordered 7 or 8 KX250F's but had been sent the same number of KX250's and Kawi didn't want them back, hence the low price. I told him to call me back with an OTD price, and called my fiance for the go-ahead. He called back and told me $5330 and change OTD. They're charging me almost $500 for freight and set up, but even so, it's still a pretty good deal. I told him as long as they're charging that much for set-up, have them double check the swingarm pivot, axles, and shock linkage for grease, as I understand they've been known to show up at dealerships in that condition.
The dealer is about two and a half hours away, so I'm heading out tomorrow morning, and as long as the bike is indeed brand new, and some unforseen calamady doesn't happen, I'll be the owner of a 2005 KX250 tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If they are greasing it up "properly" for you I would mention the steering stem bearings as well. See if they have any spare kick start levers in stock or better yet if Kawi has issued a recall yet as I've seen many threads on various boards of folks breaking the kickers relatively quickly. On all other accounts it sounds like the 05 Kawi rips!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
You're gonna love it. Good luck and have fun. YZ165

Top Bottom