MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
So far the good news is...

Bike still has great compression! I think they ran it out of gas then ditched it probably to get more but didn't get back to it. It doesn't appear to have been dry gassed.

The shifter is bent but I think I can straighten that, the kick starter is really bent... Any tips on straigtening it ? Heat ? bad idea ? Should I just replace it ? This punk must have been large.

The plastic looks bad because they ripped all the numbers off. The finger print dust is almost impossible to clean, it just smears every where :D They did get some good prints so here's hoping! Maybe a conviciton will include some restitution!

Can anyone suggest a good Plastic polish ?

Everything else is in order it seams, just needs some elbo grease.

-MD

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
MD, the shifter should be ok to bend back.the kicker ....u might want to bite the bullet and just replace.a simple green bath is in order then 3M makes a great plastic restore product and polish....NAPA AUTO

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As long as the kicker is shot...get the shorty 'better'n nu' FRP kicker. That will call for a new knuckle too, though...unless yours is in really good shape.

Putting the new kicker on an old knuckle is kind of a waste of time.

re: restitution

they should at least pay for everything they messed up.

...like it needs to be rebuilt cuz it WAS 'dry gassed', so there's your EG 225. Needs a new carb, so there's your RB (or do you already have one of those?), new pipe cuz it's dented, new S/A cuz for some reason, a hotrod triple clamp cuz yours got bent.....
etc
etc

Make 'em pay!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Mad;
What I do with my side panels to clean them is to hit them with brake clean and a rag and them rub on some automotive wax. They come out looking like new (except for deep scratches).
Glad you got your bike back, but I would not hold your breath for restitution if they are caught. I will bet these thugs are no money, no house, leachin off others SOB's. If they had any $$ they would purchase their own scoot like the rest of us. Still... it's a good excuse for some hop ups anyway :thumb:
Good luck
Lew

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Mad-Sorry to hear about your scooter, you're probably not going to see any type of financial restitution out of this, although if they're kids perhaps you could go through the parents? Too bad. Good luck and have fun shopping for upgrades!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yes, I'm certainly not holding my breath :D

But considering the good prints they got, which amazed me, if these punks have a record they'll likely be caught. We actually have a couple no BS judges here in the county, and I'm in a count/township so I could get lucky. The detectives were very optomistic.

I put a lot of elbo grease into her last night and it's really coming along. Minieral spirits get up a lot :)

I was certain the tank was stained where the gas had run out the side from it be left on the side. Simple green, and some automotive cleaners I had wouldn't touch it. A splash of mineral spirits lifted it right up :)

I'll eventually post some before after pics.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I got some restitution from some punks that broke into my house once. They didn't have anything either but the judge made them each pay $175 a month till the bill was paid. They made every payment in fear of going to juvy hall.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
MD;
Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hows everything going with the KDX, and the hoodlums that stole it?
Lew

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Things went well. No news on the thugs, though they did get good prints. I suppose if they don't have a record, they won't get caught until later in life.

The clean up went really well, it was not dry gassed, still had great compression. I tore it down, sanded, cleaned, steel-wooled, and polished the hell out of it (about 12 hours worth)., then sold her two days later.

Kinda miss it and wish I could have kept it. I have photos on the site, though the before photos of the damage mysteriously disappeard when my wife used the camera.

-MD

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
MD,

This does seem weird; if it was an emotional or financial issue that your bike got stolen, who cares about the condition or restitution if you are going to flip it "2 days later". Is it me, or is this forum targeted for the exchange of technical information for the advancement of the sport, or, is it more focued as a chat room?

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Financial or emotional? I don't understand that? It was for sale because I wanted something different. Neither emotional nor financial. It was for sale when it was stolen.

If I hadn't sold it I'd still be riding it. I have not regrets, and really like my KDX. It is still one of the most 'fun' and 'useful' bikes I've ever owned.

It became a financial 'issue' after I replaced it, and recovered it. The condition does matter to me, I like to keep my stuff like new :) To have it 'stolen' and abused just sucks. But what do you expect?

As for the purpose of the forum, well it's both. Promoting the sport can be both technical and 'emotional' I suppose. There's lots of commeradarie here. KDX'ers seem to stick together and IMHO be a little 'brighter' than your averge red neck with a dirt bike.

If someone steels your scoot, you'll be looking for outlets to vent and spread the word.

This thread is a tad old, LEW obviously dug it up because he was interested in the final outcome so I posted it. If that doesn't sit well with you can skim the topics and avoid what ever thread you wish. I typically avoid the 'what oil should I use' threads. Technical or not, those are no win debates :0

-MD

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom