Okay, what's up with my freakin arm?

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
You may have read my post earlier this week where I thought I may have fractured my arm. Had an X-ray. No fracture. So, I was wondering if this situation has ever happened to anybody else? Doc says it's a torn or ruptured muscle. The pain is on the same side of my arm as my thumb about two inches behind the wrist. It's not a bad pain, but it's swollen. My hand feels really weird when I move it around and the most bizarre thing is that it's making a creaking noise! Like an old door that needs the hinges lubed. WTF? My doc is gone til Monday and I'm not going to the hospital for this crap. The creaking isn't loud, but if I put my arm close to my ear, I can hear it creaking when it moves! My wife and friends all think it's pretty bizarre! Anybody ever have this happen to them? Matt

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I have had "creaking" noise from injuries. typically was a swollen tendon running inside its sheath - as in tendonitis. i was an over-trained distance-runner in a former life and at least once a year my achilles would do this - my shoulder does this now when i overwork the thing too. so, i would venture a guess that it is the swelling of the tendons/etc that is causing this. did the doc give you anti-inflammatory/pain drugs - if not, i found that aleve has worked well for me recently.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
That's what I was thinking. I found a drawing of the human hand that shows muscles and tendons and their sheaths. I figured it was my tendon running through the sheath. The doc gave me a bunch of horse pills. It's actually 800mg of motrin. I took one before bed last night and my arm is feeling a lot better. I'm going to keep taking them and hopefully be good to ride on Saturday! Matt

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I'm old. I creak all the time when I move. Luckily my hearing is going bad as well. :laugh:

mingy

Jul 14, 2002
Nice one Gary, I like that attitude. :laugh:

Matt, FYI on the Motrin. Ibuprophen/Motrin works well as a pain reliever and as an anti-inflammatory. The difference being that in the anti-inflammatory mode it takes 3 to 4 days of building up a blood level to be effective. When you took it the first time, the pain was gone, but I bet the friction was still there (sometimes you can also feel and well as hear this). If you stick with it for about 2 - 3 weeks (probably what was prescribed) you'll be good as new. If you quit taking it after only a few days the pain will most likely return as the inflammation is still there.

Good luck

JZ963

Jan 13, 2005
I'm impressed with the quality of some of the replies. I am a hand surgeon; what you're describing indeed sounds like tendinitis. There are two types in that area: 1) DeQuervain's tenosynovitis and 2) Intersection syndrome. Both usually respond well to rest (most difficult), splinting and sometimes steroid injection (or NSAID's). Sometimes surgery is required in type #1. If you have insurance, please feel free to see me in Green Bay.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Ha ha! I have insurance, but Green Bay is a bit of a haul from here. Anyways, my arm is doing great now! No problems or pain in over a week. Now it's my chest. I fell on some ice getting out of my truck last week. I think I pulled a muscle or bruised it really bad. I landed on my left side, but it's right in the middle of my chest that's killin me! It doesn't respond too well to the motrin. Someday, I will totally heal up and not injure myself somewhere else! Matt

Top Bottom