Jonny-K5

Feb 28, 2006
how long can i keep the gas in my can? i ride a 98 cr250, use 91 octane with prohonda 32-1 mix. i mix 4 gal. at a time, but usually have a gallon or two left after riding for the weekend. how long can i keep it? could i use a fuel stabilizer like lucas to hold its shelf life ?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Jonny-K5 said:
how long can i keep the gas in my can? i ride a 98 cr250, use 91 octane with prohonda 32-1 mix. i mix 4 gal. at a time, but usually have a gallon or two left after riding for the weekend. how long can i keep it? could i use a fuel stabilizer like lucas to hold its shelf life ?

My Yamaha Service Manual says that you shouldn't use premix that's more than 30 minutes old... HA! They must be high. I've had no problem using it for several weeks after mixing. I imagine that it's probably best right after it's mixed, but I don't see it going bad that quickly.

Hey Rich, what's the word on this??

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
In a plastic can, a couple weeks is pleanty. Race gas will last a little longer. Steel cans will contain the hydrocarbons longer yet, if sealed well.
One can let gas sit for even a month or so and it will still work okay really.
just my 2 cents.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
Jonny-K5 said:

I have that same bike.

I noticed that after 2 weeks of letting 91 sit in the plastic container premixed with smokeless formula synthetic 2 stroke oil my bike started to smoke when running it. I then I drained all the old fuel and put in 100 octane. Runs a TON stronger and no smoke. It didn't smoke at first with brand new 91. If you use 91 try to not store it longer than a week.

Hey is there anyway to contact you outside of this thread? I got a question for you and don't want to clutter up the thread.

Top Bottom