Status
Not open for further replies.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
how long can i keep premixed fuel sitting in a plastic storage tank? one guy at work advocates mix new for every ride (i really can't do this for my son's riding around the yard) and yet another says does not matter except for race day - then mix new. anyone know a real answer about premix with premium pump gas?

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
I'd say a month minimum. If I'm going to let gas sit for an extended period of time (over the winter) I add Stabil fuel stabilizer to it to aviod creating varnishes. I add it directly to the tanks of my car and bikes that will sit. You could always just mix 2 gallons at a time so you'll go through it faster, if it's a concern.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I read somwhere (maybe here) that gas will lose about 1 octane point a week sitting in plastic container. Don't know if that is true, but it sounded like it came from someone a whole lot smarter about gasoline than myself. I usually buy 3-5 gallons at a time and the longest I've ever had any was about two months. Ran great with no problem.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
Since i don't have the benefit of riding more than 1 time or so a month, my fuel sits in my tank for quite a while. Ive had 93 mixed with amsoil in my tank for 3months before i got to ride it, and it still started first kick.

As long as it hasn't been there for more than 6 months i think itd be ok to ride it.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
tnrider said:
how long can i keep premixed fuel sitting in a plastic storage tank? one guy at work advocates mix new for every ride (i really can't do this for my son's riding around the yard) and yet another says does not matter except for race day - then mix new. anyone know a real answer about premix with premium pump gas?

I've used month old gas with no noticeable loss in performance. I mix premium pump gas with Belray synth at 40:1.

The newer, obviously, the better. If I have gas much more than a month old, I drain the carb and the fuel tank, and I pour the pre-mix into my van's tank.....it does not seem to mind at all.

Ken

ebers17

Apr 25, 2006
If you want to try something, try this product made by K100, its called K100-MG Gasoline Treatment. Its awesome stuff. It makes your bike run a little crisper too. Check out their website if you want to learn more about it, k100fueltreatment.com, check out the recreational MG. I believe it tells you where to find it too.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I use 50% Trick racing fuel and 50% pump with Golden Spectro at 40:1. It last months with no noticable loss in performance or varnish in the carb.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I use 94 Sunoco with Maxima SuperM and (against my own better judgement) ran my bike with the gas in the tank after it sat for the winter. I had no problems, no pinging/detonation, and noticed no difference than freshly mixed gas. Same with my 2 stroke weed whipper and blower.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Unless its castor oil and its under 30 some degrees F it shouldnt separate. If the gas is in a sealed tank I would say your good for a month or two atleast.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
This topic has been covered extensively. Do a search and you'll find some good long threads about this very topic.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Masterphil said:
This topic has been covered extensively. Do a search and you'll find some good long threads about this very topic.

but i didn't want a long thread - i just wanted the answer :laugh:

thanks - i'll check it out

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
The answer: It depends. Depends on wether you are using oxy-race fuel, the distillation curve of the race fuel, the temperature, humidity... Depends on how sharply jetted your bike is and how much you really care about getting 100% from your bike at all times.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
right now underpowered would be a good thing. he has only run 2-gal of fuel through this thing and is getting familiar with the RM85 hit versus a TTR125.

fuel is pump grade premium- shell v-power 93-octane around here
jetting is factory setting
temp and humidity - i'm in Tennessee - the air is HOT and it is WET

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Since you're not running high-dollar race fuel and jetting sharp, I'd run it unless it starts to smell bad.

kimoajaj

Sep 7, 2004
I haven`t read all threads but I think many people take this way to seriously, I`ve even read threads were people suggested that one week old gas was the reason for a bike not running right.

When my gas is half a year old I think "gees this gas is old" and then I ride, when it`s one year I change it.

Why make problems out of problems that doesn`t have to excist.

However if you race it might be smart to stick to fresh stuff or?.

I live in Norway, don`t know if the gas is different in the US ?.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have no problem burning 5 gallons in two weeks. Hell, sometimes I burn throught 5 gallons in one week.

geraldo

Oct 12, 2004
My ice auger has unfortuntelty not seen that much use the last few years. I think that I have left the same fuel in it for at least two to three years before and it still fires up around 0 degrees and it is an old motor. I do put staybil in it. Usually I just use one of my buddies 10inch augers, so old faithful isn't needed that often.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
When it comes to things like powerwashers, lawnmowers, and weedeaters, they usually get my old dirtbike premix, even if they are 4t's. Our 5HP honda powered power washer doesn't seem to care what I put into the tank.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
lets go for another 5 pages with the castor oil separation issue......i say shake it baby :boss:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Now we all know that once the oil is suspended it will stay suspended, of course, depending on the specific gravity of the race fuel and the current barometric pressure on venus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom