duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
So... New parts arrived today. As usual I did not get home until late(ish) but I decided to at least stick the new air filter in and see if it fixed my high rpm problems. It didn't.
So I pulled the carb off a lnd blew out the pilot jet and needle jet with carb cleaner from both sides... I thought I saw a little wad of "stuff" fly out of the needle jet and sure enough when I put it back together it ran great... Tons of power all the way up. Rode around for about 2-3 minutes and it sputtered and died. I started it back up and it ran for a few seconds and died again. Now it will not start at all.
Thinking it was just something dumb (namely being out of gas because it was low) I pulled the fuel line off but plenty of fuel poured out when I turned the petcock on. Pulled the carb off again and looked but nothing appeared out of place. Checked the spark and it was quite strong. What gives? I hate the feeling of going backward :bang:

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Doh... I'm a newb!

I'll leave this topic for other newbs like me to find: I put in the new spark plug... You know the one I ordered FOR THIS BIKE... that just arrived today... Yeah that one. Put it in and it literally started on the very first kick and runs perfectly.
Sometimes it pays to try the obvious.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Good deal! I took this as another "my bike is running backwards", way cooler.

"another"? Um... Yeah that'd be pretty strange.

I did have an air compressor start running backwards once... It was weird.

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
when I was a kid my old Bultaco stalled on a hill, rolled backwards in gear, and the engine started- running backwards! "look out, I'm backin up"

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've seen/heard of a few 2 strokes shearing the flywheel key and running backwards. My buddy had an old cr250 that did it, he started it up one time and let clutch out......it was definately in reverse! Lol, it was hilarious.

Maybe now that you got the carb all nice and clean it's flowing more fuel and running a bit rich. Have you ever jetted it?

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
It is running rich... Not sure what jet its running but it goes though a spark plug about every 150 miles of riding int he woods (so mostly lower rpm). For now I have decided to live with it because I am far from an expert on two stroke tuning and I would rather be jetted too rich and foul plugs and occasionally have to clean the KIPS system then running to lean and overheat/sieze it.

Top Bottom