davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I am getting ready to run my first hare scramble this weekend. Will I be able to run a two hour race on one tank of gas? I know ride times differ with how and where you are riding. Just wondering if anyone who has run a H/S could give me some input.

bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
This has been discussed before, do a MPG search in this forum and you will find the info you are looking for. Good Luck!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Ya, you could run a 4 hr HS on one tank probably. I did a 2 hr Cross Country (same thing as a HS except it was only one lap of a really long course) and I still hade enough fuel to do 1.5 more laps. It was mostly single trach BTW. Dont worry about it. Just roost all the guys on MX bikes when they're at the fuel stop!

bwc352

Apr 12, 2002
I've only owned my KDX for a couple of months, but I've run 3 Hare Scrambles with no need to refuel. The guy that I bought the bike from probably ran about 4 Hare Scrambles in the year before I bought it without refueling. When I bought the bike from him, I asked the same question. He said "easily". So far, seven Hare Scrambles seem to prove it -- at least for our type of terrain. In fact, I haven't even been close to needing to refueling during a Hare Scramble. We probably put about 30 miles in during a typical HS here.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I can do around 45 miles on good fast 4th - 6th gear tracks, on about half a tank (5 1/2 litres). Would have to depend on your jetting and gearing of course, but on a 155 mainjet, I'm certainly not ultra-lean.
I'm running 12/46 gearing BTW.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I run the Intermediate category here, and I've done a 2.5hr HS which ended lasting 3hrs for me.. I'm pretty right hand happy too, and I didn't run out.

So, yes it'll last 2hrs, NO matter how you ride it. And if it's your first race, you'll quickly see that it's not about going flat out...

Advice.. You can't win the race on the first lap, but you can lose the race on the first lap.. So take it easy if you don't get a practice run (we dont' get one here). Don't look back.. No matter what you think you hear, don't look backwards. It totally ruins your focus for what's coming ahead of you. If there's a really fast guy behind you, you'll know it. Block people from passing you early on.. I've found that I can nearly get the hole-shot on my 220R, and if I'm aggressive with my blocking, then nobody is getting by me. (I mean blocking if you have the guy in front of you right there).. Otherwise, let them by, or you'll get shot.

Good luck! Keep the forearms working before the race.. Stay loose, and I'd recommend eating alot of salty homefries with your breakfast that morning.. The sodium and the potassium in the potatoes will help you from cramping. Hold your pee until just before the race, then go.. And drink LOTS of water, don't hold back, or you'll suffer mentally.. Your brain will shut itself off if it's being dehydrated.

Jon!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hate to rain on your parade...but that's what I do best!;)

The key is 'it depends'. Counting on having enough fuel with NO basis for the idea is not a good idea.

Things like '..good fast 4-6th gear tracks..' isn't EVER going to happen 'round here. Don't know about your situation.

'..probably about 30 miles..' ain't happening here, either.

Last HS in this area, 3 laps got you 48 miles. I might have seen 4th gear a couple times, but not much. I didn't know if I could make it on a tank, either. Refueled after the second lap. Found I would have been out of gas MILES from the finish on the third lap had I not done that. Finish times were a bit over two hours.

Running out would have been irritating, cuz I would have seen the first place rider I'd already passed fly by me... probably smiling.

Oh well. It was irritating anyway, cuz even though I passed him and I didn't run out of gas, he finished almost 4 minutes in front of me anyway!

Ha! Wonder how many miles less than 48 HE rode that day!

My jetting is about '1 over' optimum...I prefer a bit of margin. Running 40/152/BEL-2/#6TV.

Taking the 'Sure. Easy' input in my case would give me confidence...until I finished last cuz I had to push my bike the last 10 miles! But then, from reading input over the last couple years it's quite obvious that hare scrambles on johns peak (here) ain't nothin' like everyone else's idea of a race.

Kind of like skiing mt. ashland (here). If you can ski there, you can ski ANYwhere!

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I will take that into consideration, I planned on bringing extra fuel anyway. If I run out I'll just turn on the reserve. I believe it's a eight mile loop, so I won't have any problems making it back to the pits. Depending on how well I do, will probably be looking at 56-72 miles.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom