Oopps, kind of bent my radiator.

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
I Hit a jump today a wee bit faster then I could handle and crashed (got some nice air though). I bent and apparently cracked my left radiator on my RM.

Any thoughts on Mylers radiator repair?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Eric Gorr recommends them in his book, so they must be good! :thumb:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I've taken mine to my local car radiator guy and he performed wonders. He untwisted, unsmashed, and unleaked :uh: it. (lol that isn't even close to a word) It doesn't hurt to just ask your local guy what he can do for you.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I talked to mylers and I would not hesitate for a second to send my stuff to him. I live close to his shop. He suggested I drop my radiator off and I could pick it up later that day. He is really a decent guy.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
After you get all done with that, I would HIGHLY recommend radiator guards, I won't ride my bikes without them and they offer a lot of protection. Flatland are my favorite but they may not have it for your model, maybe Devol or Works Connection.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rad. guards are a good thing! Although I have never smashed any, (knock on wood. :) ) the kid who bought my KX smashed and cracked the right rad. the first ride out!!! My YZ has rad. guards so I don't worry about it, unless some punk stick wants to get personal.... :)

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Yeah I read that I should get radiator guards but I didn't listen. Needles to say I just ordered some from Works Connection.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Originally posted by ksp
After you get all done with that, I would HIGHLY recommend radiator guards, I won't ride my bikes without them and they offer a lot of protection. Flatland are my favorite but they may not have it for your model, maybe Devol or Works Connection.

Any info on where I could view these or get some info? I'm interested.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I've got the work connection (haven't given them a true test..yet :eek: ) but to me they seem like they'd only protect from a minor front impac or if you fell over in a corner. Like I said just the minor stuff that really pisses you off after it gets tweaked. Somewhere, some company makes aluminum radiator rock guard fin thingies that are replicas of the stock plastic ones...I've seen them once and it's still kickin my butt as where I can get a set :think:

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
Originally posted by Moto Squid
I've got the work connection (haven't given them a true test..yet :eek: ) but to me they seem like they'd only protect from a minor front impac or if you fell over in a corner. Like I said just the minor stuff that really pisses you off after it gets tweaked. Somewhere, some company makes aluminum radiator rock guard fin thingies that are replicas of the stock plastic ones...I've seen them once and it's still kickin my butt as where I can get a set :think:
AC Racing used to make the aluminum copys of the stock plastic ones-I have a set on a CR500 and they are excellent. I believe they stopped manufacturing them due to the sales numbers were not justifying the production costs.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by Moto Squid
I've got the work connection (haven't given them a true test..yet :eek: ) but to me they seem like they'd only protect from a minor front impac or if you fell over in a corner.

Very true :| ............. I have a set of the WC's as well and can attest to them not being worth a CRAP on side impacts. I recently had a friend lay it over in the woods, and just CRUSH the bottom half of the radiator. Pushed the brace right in w/it!! Enough so that the BRACE almost put a crack in the body of the radiator. Obviously the 02' CRF's have soft rads., but I bout the braces under the assumption that they would help protect the soft rads....Wrong. :whiner: I'm currently waiting on enough cash to go buy the Devols since they have side impact coverage. Honestly w/ the lack of side impact coverage I really see no real validation for even putting the WC's on your bike. As always though, thats just my .02. Good luck in your search for repairs/braces.

Last edited:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
My Devols have held up well against side impacts. They did bend a little, but I can only imagine the damage w/out them.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
Originally posted by flynbryan

Very true :| ............. I have a set of the WC's as well and can attest to them not being worth a CRAP on side impacts. I recently had a friend lay it over in the woods, and just CRUSH the bottom half of the radiator. Pushed the brace right in w/it!! Enough so that the BRACE almost put a crack in the body of the radiator. Obviously the 02' CRF's have soft rads., but I bout the braces under the assumption that they would help protect the soft rads....Wrong. :whiner: I'm currently waiting on enough cash to go buy the Devols since they have side impact coverage. Honestly w/ the lack of side impact coverage I really see no real validation for even putting the WC's on your bike. As always though, thats just my .02. Good luck in your search for repairs/braces.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
Flatland Racing just started making them for the CR's. I think I may have got the first set for my 02 250. I don't know if they will also fit the 450, if not, they should be available soon. The product is EXCELLENT and I like better than the Devols. I think they are about 75.00, check out www.flatlandracing.com.

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
Radiator guards don't really fix anything, they help prevent having to spend (your example $ 10.00) every time you crash hard enough to bend up the radiator. In the long run it's problably worth the money you spend on them if they help prevent thrashing your radiator and just think if you spend enough of your hard earned $10.00 eventually it will add up to what these things cost. Not to mention the fact that you can only fix a radiator so many times before it's time to retire it anyway.
i looked at the flatland racing and devol's and both seem to be the same thing only diff being the price ( flatland at at $75.00 and devol's at $83.00). then again this is just an opinion and we all know what they say about those.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
If you race MX I can see your point on the $10.00 repair option byt if you enduro / hare scramble / trail ride where you can be miles away from help, I think the preventive guards are a good idea...I made a set for $18.00 CDN thats a little over $10.00 US and they seem to work very well, I don't think I would ever ride without them. They're just pieces of aluminum with a couple of 90 degree bends and bunch of holes drilled in them...it ain't rocket science, but they work.

Top Bottom