sensei

Apr 1, 2008
In about a month I plan to walk into a Yamaha dealership with cash in hand to pick up a 2008 WR250R. MSRP is $5,899.00.

I would like to get your opinion on what I should be pushing for as an OTD price for the bike. Negotiating this cr@p has never really been my strong suit. I live in the SF Bay Area if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Wax off,
sensei.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Until I got locked in to a really good dealer, I would be heavy in the negotiation game too. I found one great tool........when you and the salesman have hit the end of budging, tell them you are a maintainance freak and may spend (blank) dollars per year on parts. Tell the salesman a nice parts discount will close the deal. Worked for me. From what I've seen, a serious full time racer can negotiate a "30% off parts" deal, but 20% may be more realistic. If you can find a good, local, dirt knowledgable dealer, I don't think the price of the bike is all too important as much as a good parts deal is. Saving you big bucks in the long term.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Does that OTD price include tax??

I've purchased several brand new bikes and never paid more than MSRP (before tax). I refuse to pay any of the bs fees they always try to tack on at the end... Most of the time I get away for less than MSRP w/ minimal negotiating. Actually, I guess I did pay some bs fees on my latest Yamaha, but I also got it for $500 under msrp and they gave me more than expected for my trade, so I came out ahead in the end...

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
sensei said:
Yes, so it was $300 over MSRP to get it out the door.

Probably at least a fair deal then, especially for Cali. I've always thought of MSRP as the suggested price BEFORE taxes. So you basically got it for msrp and then had to pay tax (the same way tax works on every other item you buy).

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I haven't bought it yet :p This is a quote from OTDCycles that someone here suggested I check out.

Matter of fact I'm on my way now to the local yamaha dealer now to see what numbers they'll do. I'm going with the 2008 WR250R instead of the 2009 KLX250S. Too many have told me the KLX is gutless.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
So I just got back from teh local dealer. First they wanted $7,400.00 for a bike with MSRP of $5,899.00. Dude said "Can we earn your business?" Hell to the NO :p

Then I whipped out my quote from OTDCycles. They're about 300 miles from me and asking $6,199.00 OTD. Sale guy said let me see what we can do.

He came back with a final offer of $6,980.00. About 750 is freight and setup fees. The rest is tax, license, etc. He said they would only make about $100.00. off the deal. I'm all about supporting local dealers and I don't have a truck nor the time to drive 600 miles round trip to get a bike.

I talked to my wife and she said...."what you gonna do...how you gonna act?" That normaly means, she's cool with it.

Should I go back to the dealer and say if you do 6,700.00, OTD we can close? What would you do? I really want that bike.

I'm planning to have it professionally lowered because I tried at the dealer and I will not be able to manage without lowering it, at least when riding on the street. The lower will cost me $650.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
sensei said:
I really want that bike.

That is the kicker. I bet the salesman is completely aware of this as well.

Good luck!

For me... if I really want something and can reasonably afford it I buy it. I am not a haggler. But I won't go overboard and pay an exorbitant amount either... but the perception of exorbitant is up to the purchaser.

Ivan

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I can reasonably afford it. Yeah, he knows he's got me. I've been back twice already. It just seems like paying 1k over MSRP to get it out the door is a little steep. The other thing is I do live in one of the most expensive places in the country [silicon valley]. All these software company rich boys like google, yahoo, ebay, vmware, etc. all around me are driving up prices everwhere.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I know I've been active on this thread but I'm too damn excited to get my new bike. So I called around other local dealers and the only other one that came close in price wanted 10 bucks more but he wouldn't be getting the bike in for some time.

So I called the dealer back I'm working with. They only have the one bike in stock and will set if off to the side for me. I'll go in tomorrow to complete the paperwork.

Can't wait for that WR250R to be sitting in my garage. Heck I can't wait to get it on the trails.

BTW, so much for getting it in a month. It's been more like a couple of days :cool:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Truespode saw the same statement light up like I did. There's bikes for sale everywhere. To the salesman........"I understand you've done the best you can, and you deserve to make a living. I however, have a budget I MUST stick to. There's lots of bikes out there, I'll find one." If he can't put the price where you need it, it's not what you need anyway. I've always been able to get a bike for about $300-400 under MSRP, plus about another 100 in ''set up" fees. Good luck, be patient.
* Your last post came while I was typing. Although I believe "I must and I can't wait" is an unwise mindset when spending large money.......... good luck.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Usually. But perhaps here in the Midwest, things aren't so pricey. I let the salesman know right off the bat (because I'm a woods rider) that once we make the deal, I'll go straight to the parts desk and order about $700 worth of off-road accessories. You mentioned you have cash....... great bargaining tool. I may very well be coming at this from a different perspective though........ I'm a contractor and I'm always working on making a "friend", and it has worked, I've done work on their shop, the owners homes, and have done work for many of their employees. I think above all it's about attitude....... the salesman deserves to make a buck and he needs to know we respect that. Don't act desperate, if he can't put the price where you need it..... "thank you, but my budget dictates I must keep looking."
A wise man once told me: "Making choices based on want and happiness becomes an addiction, but choosing needs and fullfullment builds character." (Good stuff, although I don't always do it.)

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
sensei said:
He said they would only make about $100.00. off the deal.
The dealer is full of BS. All dealers pay the same price for bikes. There are even rebates that they get from the factory. The place I told you about mostly just makes the rebate and quickly moves onto the next deal. If they truly were only making $100 bucks that means the place at $6200 is loosing about $800 on the bike. Not gonna happen. Point this out to the dealer and see what he says. Ask him to split the difference. It never hurts to ask.

Whatever they get for freight and set-up is almost pure profit. It take about an hour tops to put a bike together that come in the create from the factory.

Like others have said, tell him you have a budget and his price is not within it and thank him for his time and leave. This is not the only and only wr he will have. No doubt he will be getting more.

But if you must have the bike, just can't wait and can justify the cost then go for it! :cool:

Good luck!

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have bought alot of cars and bikes and I have never paid over msrp to get one out the door. Imagine a car dealer who wanted $24,000 OTD for a car that stickered for $20,000. The dealer would be out of business in no time. Buy from someone else. There are lots of straight shooting dealers here in Michigan, but there are a few that will try to take you to the cleaners if you let them.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
check in Hayward. When we lived in Monterey, we drove up to the dealer there (yamaha) and they beat prices that surrounding dealers were quoting us. Totally worth it... Plus, we got a quote over the phone and the dealers near our house thought they were BS'ing us about the price. They weren't!!!

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I had not looked there but it's certainly a good resource. Thanks to both of you. This isn't the last moto I'll be buying new so in the future I have some good references.

Made the purchase last Saturday and got the price down a bit. Everyone in the SF bay area is asking for about the same price and I used the OTDCycles quote as a negotiating tool. Got a decent discount on all my gear from the dealer too given I had to buy everything...boots, helmet, gloves, gear, chest protector, etc...

Thanks again everyone.

Top Bottom