BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I have never paid more than the MSRP OTD including all fees with the exception of the Service Honda CR500AF.

Any dealer should include all shipping, set up and taxes in the OTD price and that should not excede the MSRP. That will still allow them to make a buck or two.

Most dealers will allow a 10%-20% discount on products bought the same day as the deal. Good dealers will offer a parts discount for racers of models less than 2 years old.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
WR250F…..? They are everywhere and the demand for them is relatively low. You should be able to find one for well under MSRP.

The only bike I have paid MSRP for was my 2001 YZ250F. I took delivery in November of 2000 while there was a huge waiting list. It was simply supply vs. demand. I knew that if I was going to get one, I was going to have to pay the full price.

I buy bikes over the phone. Do some research, know what is reasonable as well as what you are willing to pay and then call a bunch of dealers. I just ask them if they have one in stock and if they will sell it for $XXXX.00. If they agree, I drive over with cash in hand and haul it home. If they say that they will not quote prices over the phone, I just thank them and move on to the next dealer on the list.

Yeah, use Cycle Trader and shop around. Also consider having one shipped to you. There are a bunch of hungry dealers around the country right now that would love to have your business.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
BadgerMan said:
WR250F…..? They are everywhere and the demand for them is relatively low. You should be able to find one for well under MSRP.
WR250R

New model for Yamaha. D/S

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
Not the WR250F it's the new dual purpose WR250R. No dealers around here had any except the one I bought and it was the only one they had.

I'm happy with the purchase and the price I paid. All good this time. I did learn a few things and will be a little more strategic the next time I go out. One fact remains is that I live in one of the richest places in the country with Google, Yahoo, Ebay, HP, IBM, Oracle. etc, etc, etc. all down the street or around the corner. Bikes, homes, cars, etc in this valley have a tendency to sell for more than other parts of the country. Sellers can simply demand more money because if you don't have it someone else will.

The next time I'm in the market I may look into getting one shipped. If they ship it do they do uncrating, setup, licensing, etc. for you too?

I fogot to say I learned plenty from all of the good replies on this forum...thanks for sharing the info.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
XRpredator said:
WR250R

New model for Yamaha. D/S

F.... :coocoo:

Not the WR250F it's the new dual purpose WR250R.

Oops…..I am sorry as I should have read your original post more closely. Yeah, I would suspect that dealers are playing their cards a little close to their chest on those bikes.

As was the case with my 2001 YZF, you have to pay a bit more if you want to be the first guy on the block to have one.

So how do you like the new bike? I have not seen one in person yet. How is the power, weight, and the seat height compared to the YZF/WRF?

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I take delivery Friday and will post a review once I get a chance to go out. Unfortunately [or fortunately] I'm on baby duty this weekend so the wifey can take a break. I'll be riding it home at least this Friday so I can give some impression back.

Thanks for the link to review, Ivan.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
XRpredator said:

Yeah, I read that review. Those bikes sound like they would be too much fun for commuting and even some off road exploring.

Ya know…….maybe it’s a sign that I am getting old but there are some really cool dual sport type bikes these days. Every time I see a picture of the new KTM 690 Enduro I start to drool. :nod:

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
Just picked up the bike and unfortunately had to come back to work.

I'm lovin it. I can't give too much of a comparison to other dirt bikes. The last time I rode consistently was about 25 years ago. I did ride a YZ250 back in 99 but only for about three hours.

I'm lovin it because it's just fun to ride. I've been riding sport bikes for the last 20 years. My last bike was a 2002 R1 with over 140hp. This bike is reported to make about 35hp so you won't be getting a power comparison from me [hehe]. I'm gonna ride a little this weekend and try to post a pic later tonight.

Oh, it's so nice to finally be sitting up instead of in race position all the time.

Happy Friday!

Zadok

May 5, 2008
sensei said:
Thanks. Is that $300 - 400 under MSRP OTD?

I live in Tulsa, OK and recently purchased this
bike for 5800. OTD.

Not bad for a 100 bucks under MSRP OTD.

Im having a blast on the bike, but I didnt
walk into the dealer and run straight for the
bike either. In fact, I asked to look at used
bikes first, then I asked if they had any
deals on 07 models still on the floor, then
I discussed my usage for the bike and asked
about the WR-R. Told the guy I didnt really
want to spend that much, but if he could
make me a really solid OTD offer I would take