Ward

Jan 23, 2006
Okay I know this question probably should be posted on KTMTalk.com but I would like the Michigan rider prospective. Trevor/Woodsracer369 was nice enough on our last ride to switch bikes with me. Although it wasn't for a long period of riding I must say I was impressed with his 300EXC, and felt comfortable having just jumped off my 450EXC.

I have never been a 2-stroke fan. I started out on XR's and love the low maintence, just pour in some unlead gas and go ride. However, I am always looking to add to the stable of bikes. What is everyones take on the 300EXC as a Michigan bike, and are there anymore or less maintence issues with todays two-strokes? Thanks.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
I rode a 300ECX for two years. Its probably the lowest maintenance woods bike on the market. You can lump it around all day and never foul a plug, I changed mine once a year. With a smooth gear high riding style the rings will easily last 4,000 miles. The 450 fits my style but the maintenance on it is way more time consuming than the 300. No valves to check and an oil change is 5 minutes. There both great bikes.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Ward,
I think you already know my opinion - wait till next time we ride together and I have the handling sorted out. It was sketchy when we rode together due to my boneheaded mechanic; although it was less noticable in the tighter stuff; it can be / has been / will be better!

Trevor

Last edited:

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
A quick follow up question. In 2006 KTM switched to the 300XC and 300XC-W what's the difference? Is the XC the old EXC and XC-W the old MXC?

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
As I understand it:

XC=MXC Close ratio gear box more adjustable (stiffer valving, High speed adjusters) on suspension

XCW=EXC Wide ratio gear box less adjustable suspension

Also for 06 no lights front or back, no spark arrestor and comes with off road only MSO (title). -- Closed course only as delivered from the dealer. I highly reccomend Lansing Cycle if you are looking to purchase a new one.

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
Oh believe me Lansing Cycle gets all my business. I was looking to see the difference in the 2006 vs. 2005 models. I am not down with the close course only models. I want to be able plated it and run lights if need be.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Check with Lansing Cycle
The connections are there and LC has the light kits readily available - they may even be able to help with the street title issue.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
my vote - no doubt at all - 300XC-W.

But it really does depend on where you like to ride, for me it's the tighter and nastier the better. that's also why I like an even lighter bike than the 300 - but for sure not the 450.

If you like more open running, the 450 makes a great bike.

Jerrit

Jan 1, 2002
Are ya gonna be doing any scrambles or enduro's?
My WR400 was a bear to ride in the last enduro I rode, wish I would have brought my son's YZ125....I'd go with the 300 if your gonna do any enduro's

Jerrit

Top Bottom