Opinions on Yamaha TW200 as playbike?

MX100

Mar 7, 2003
it's got a measly 6" of suspension travel front and rear, but I may have an opportunity to pick one up verrrrry cheap. Has anyone ridden one of these before? Can it stand up to wheelieing and mild abuse?

bmxer

Dec 26, 2002
i think a xt225 would be a better dual sport, as i have ridden one before and it had decent power and seemed like a fun playbike. But if u can get the tw for really cheap then go for it, and sell it for more than u paid if u don't like it.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I've ridden one a few times and I liked it somewhat. It weighs in at somewhere around 260 I believe, but to me it actually felt heavier. I know having a low center of gravity is a good thing usually, but I found the bike short and heavy enough that it just felt "odd". I actually think it it were taller it would ride better for me, even with the higher CG. Some people like the fat tires......I didn't (I thought they 'let loose' with very little warning). But lots of people really like these things, and as a goof around or utility bike I bet they're much more in their element. Heck, I saw a guy on the adventure forums riding one all over Idaho with a jury rigged cabinet top for a rack. If you can get a ride on that thing, you can make the decision for yourself. Also, how tall, heavy, strong are you? My opinion is just from a few rides and should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
They are a quad with two missing wheels.

I think they are totally fun.

Yes, they are odd, heavy, slow, low, and most of the other bad things people say about them. However, they are great fun.

Ever ridden a KLX 110 set up for an adult or a XR80 set up for an adult? Like a TW200, they suck compared to a "real" motorcycle. But like those, the TW is totally fun, and in a different way from those.

If you are buying a TW as a novelty, I think you'll be happy. If you are buying it for commuting or motocross or Moto GP you are likely to be disappointed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom