Opinons on C model performance vs newer models

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Hey Guys

I would like your opinions about the performance of my 88 KDX vs the newer water cooled models. I have riden many other kinds of bikes but never a newer KDX. I noticed from some of the threads that JasonWho, Carney and a couple of others also ride the 86-88 C models. How much of a performance difference is there between the "C's" and the otherKDX's. Would it be worth the money for me to buy a new bike? Mine is in great shape, new top end, front and rear springs, pipe and silencer, on and on, about $1000.00 in the last year. I plan to start doing some racing soon. What to you all think? :clue:

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I used to have an '88 and I loved it. But, my '96 does have more power, and best of all a disc rear brake.
I think the water cooled bike makes more power because it's more efficient and has a better power-valve setup, but I could have lived with my '88 if only it had that rear disc.

cheers,
Andrew

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Andrew:

Thanks for the input! I hear you on the disk brake vs drum, the rear drum is the only thing I dont like about my bike.

JasonWho:

The bike I am thinking about getting is a 2004, 200 from my local dealer. He offered me a very good deal on the new bike. $3850.00 out the door. I wasnt even thinking about selling my 88 until he quoted me that price.

My 88 is rebuilt pretty much from the ground up using OEM parts. New fork bushings, seals, springs. Rear suspension received all new bolts, bearings, bushings, rear spring.
New top end, carb and intake boots, carb needle, gaskets, float. Uni-Filter, tires, chain, brakes. You name it, its new or rebuilt. The only thing that isnt stock is my DG Pipe and Silencer.

I plan on running the enduro races here in Az. when the weather cools down a bit.
So, having owned a C model and a newer water cooled version, do you think it would make that much difference in what I am planning on using the bike for? The only thing I didnt get into was the bottom end. The previous owner did it not too long before I bought the bike. I would guess it has 5 or 6 hundred hours on it. The crank and rod checked out perfect when I had it apart in January.

Thanks for the input!

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Don't we all wish we had a job like that! That estimate is conservative I would say. Just goes to show you how reliable these bikes are if they are taken care of!!

kdxman15

Aug 21, 2003
i ride my kdx almost everyday and have put hundreds of hours on it. i went about 200 hours on a set of rings. goes to show how reliable now. i put a new piston rings got the cylender honed and it feels like new again.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Thanks to JasonWho and all the others who gave me there two cents worth.

JasonWho: Answers to a couple of your questions. I am entering for fun only. I am 41 and way to old to start an enduro career. I am in good shape from riding the KDX at least two times a week and riding mountain bikes with my son at least 3 times a week. I dont care if I finish first, just want to be competitive. The more I think about it I am sticking with the 88 for a while. I have put a ton of work and money into it. Getting a new bike would mean doing much of it all over again, springs, pipe etc. It is running very well right now. I am going to ride the heck out of it and have some fun.

Are you interested in selling the rear disk setup that you had for your 87?

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Word to that ^ Thanks for the info JasonWho, I may take a similar path in the future. But, for now, I'm having way too much fun on the C to give it up :ride:

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Yes Sir, mine has been in various states of disassembly SO many time. My son walked out last time and rolled his eyes and said, "Ahhhhhhh Dad, not again!"

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Question - Will the upper clamp of of a 86-88 KDX200 work on my 89? The 89-92's came with these really lame non adjustable top clamps. I've seen a couple of 87 and 88 triple clamps on the E sale place. If they would fit i'll pick on up, otherwise i'll wait for a 95-04 top clamp to show up.

-Maurice

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
That would be great if you would check on it. Would you be interested in "parting" (no pun intended) with some of the parts from that 90?

-Maurice

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Thanks JasonWho, that pic tells me everything I need to know. I'll have to keep an eye out for a 86-88 top clamp as well as a 95+ one. I'm looking for a stock silencer, pipe, and rear wheel. A lighting coil and the rectifier would be nice as well. Mostly looking to add back the parts that were missing when I bought my 89. The rear wheel on mine is flat spotted and missing several spokes. Drop me and email and we'll talk.

-Maurice

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom