will a 84 jug and carb fit on a 86 KDX200?

leftyNC

Dec 6, 2007
Hello all,
I've got the chance to buy a 86 KDX 200 dirt cheap as its missing the piston, jug head . carb and pipe. I found some parts on ebay but they are from an 84. I have noticed that on all the wiesco piston listings they go from 86-06. I can't even find a listing for an 84. Does anybody know if the 84 cylinder would bolt up to the 86 bottom end? I don't want to buy a bunch of parts that I can't use. How about a newer model? I know they changed somewhat in 98, butI'm not really sure on all the details. If someone could point me in the right direction on this I sure would appreciate it. Thanks,leftyNC

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The '86 cylinder has a KIPS exhaust valve, while the '84 does not. I THINK the stud spacing on the cylinder is the same and the '84 cylinder would physically fit onto the '86 bottom end. BUT you would lose the KIPS and would probably have to modify or custom make an exhaust pipe to fit the '84 cylinder. The '83 - '85 pipe MIGHT work. Not worth the trouble, IMO.

The '86 - '88 KDX are nearly identical. Your best best is to find parts from those years.

BTW, not every company that sells pistons has their complete catalog of old items listed on the internet. Your best bet is to call them and ask. But '84-86 is getting old. Call Jeff at Fredette Racing Products and see what he says about piston availability and swapping an '84 jug onto an '86.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I say just get one from the correct year. Don't forget porting specs, besides '85 and older not having a power valve system like the 1986 model.

Top Bottom