trailmeister

Nov 13, 2001
My family and i are hoping to hit the oregon dunes ( first time) in mid april. Does florence area sound good for going to first? we are experienced riders and want a fun challenge. also, what is the weather like ( grab bag like seattle area i suppose eh?) also, how crowded does it get that time?

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
i usually don't go until memorial day weekend, april weather should be good, but that's no guarantee... it can be hit & miss
for a first area to ride florence is great, the beach isn't far from the staging areas, i like the goose pasture staging area best, you don't have to climb a big hill to get onto the dunes...
my other fave areas to ride out of are spinreel campground and winchester bay. winchester bay has some killer hill climbs and views. from spinreel you can ride all the way down to horse falls by coos bay... tons of fun

Katoom

Feb 19, 2002
I'm heading down there the last week of March. The weather is pretty hit and miss, it never gets very cold, but it can rain a lot. I rode at Winchester for three days this time last year and it was great weather, you just have to guess.

Florence is fun but can develop a lot of drop-offs on the flats if it's windy. It should be O.K. for a first time in the sand. Spinreel would also be good first time area, it has a lot of little stuff and trails to play on. I usually take three days and hit all three areas, just to mix it up a little.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom