huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
hey, well we have just finished our new house and will be moving there next week (its pretty sweet with 100 acres in my backyard). Thing is that garage space is very limited so the bikes wont be able to go inside till we get the shed built next summer. This means that the bikes will be outside over the winter. I was thinking that putting a tarp over them would be good, but i am not sure if this will be enough. whats the best way to store them?

Mar 18, 2006
You may also have to "mouse-proof" them with some mothballs, ammonia, etc. placed strategically. Plug your muffler ends, mothball your airbox. I had a GSXR1100 once and the little beggars crawled into one of the pipes and made a nest (I neglected to store properly). Well, in the spring when I started it, it felt a little restricted. The stored seeds started flying out and then eventually the whole nest and a mouse too came flying out the exhaust. Sometimes critters chew on things too (seat covers and other vinyl parts that may have sweat on them). Occasionally at my workplace a bear eats someone's quad, argo, or UTV seat. Clean the bikes and make them smell and taste bad. Cut the grass short underneath. Cover with a good quality tarp and they will be fine. It's pretty easy to make a support frame for the tarp with PVC pipe hoops or, better yet you can sharpen some small saplings both ends, poke them in the ground, bend them over into a hoop, poke the other end in (or dig), tie on some sticks for crossbraces and voila, a frame for nothing......Oh yeah, keep the tires off the ground. Dirt has a way of degrading rubber. Support your stand so it doesn't sink into the ground and cause something to fall over.

Mar 18, 2006
And if you really want to do it right... Fill the gearboxes to the brim with cheap oil. Put a teaspoon of premix in the plug hole and kick it over a couple of times (kill button on). And fill metal fuel tanks with fuel. This prevents condensation from rusting things, especially metal fuel tanks.

Top Bottom