Over filling case to reduce engine noise

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
A while back some people on this site posted some threads about
adding extra case oil to reduce noise. I added extra oil
and it did reduce noise, but now I have case oil in my airbox.
Did I damage something? I added about 150 cc extra. The bike
was layed over once during the ride after adding the oil. Could this
of caused oil to go into the airbox?

Thanks, Colorado KDX

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Are you sure that the oil in your airbox is case oil and not excess oil from your air filter or maybe some pre-mix oil? Seems strange that you would get oil from the gearbox to the airbox.

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
The oil I use for my air breather is red and I do not over oil the filter. The oil in the
air box is motor oil . There is a hose that runs behind the kick starter to the top of the airbox. The oil seems to becoming from this hose.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
it sounds like excess oil just got forced thru that tube into the airbox while the engine was running. how long was the bike on its side? it seems like it would have to be there a while for oil to have time to make it thru that tube to the airbox.

p.s. im guessing the tube is a crankcase breather or something?

Last edited:

Colorado KDX

Mar 5, 2002
It ran like that for about ten seconds until I could get back to it, to shut it off. Bike stayed on it's side for a couple of minutes.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
hi colorado this is out of subject but how about your leaking in flywheel cover?
do you still have a leak? does jb weld really worked? :cool:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Only way trans oil is going to get from the case to the filter box is thru the breather hose.

If the bike was topsyturvy........there 'ya go!

DON'T DO THAT!! It might hurt your bike ;) .....you'll heal.........

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I had the same problem with mine when I tried a full quart of oil. I had oil in the airbox and it leaked out of the vent on the bottom of it and all over the swingarm. I was doing some sparkplug checks with full throttle and it was never on its side at all. I removed some oil and all fine now.

Top Bottom