leovacc

Apr 24, 2008
I own a 1989 kdx 200, i just replace the rings, the seals, bearings on the motor, and many parts. The thing is that after 10 minutes max the ENGINE gets really hot. I check the radiator open and the water circulate, so i guess that this indicate that the water pump is ok right?.
I used coolant, not water.
Try with the best transmission oil and mix oil, but no matter what i do it always gets hot.
What i am missing? Why could this be happening? Is there any steps that i should follow to make sure everything is ok?.
HELP PLEASE !!!! Thanks !!!!

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Is the motor running OK otherwise? Timing Correct? There is only one liquid that removes heat better than water, mercury but you wouldn't want to use that. Mix your anti corrosion as recommended by the manufacturer.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
did you check the ring end gap? or just stick the rings in there?

sounds like the rings may be expanding causing excessive friction= heat

also you must take out the bolt on the top left radiator when filling the cooling system to allow air to escape and completly fill the system.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Make sure the thin metal cooling zig zaggy bits between the cooling cores are not bent and stopping air flowing through them. They are very easily bent using a hose with a powerful jet when cleaning the bike. Just a thought.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Are you actually riding the bike when it overheats, or is it overheating while standing still?

How full are you filling the radiator?

What is your jetting?

What oil and ratio are you using?

Have you had the bike a long time? If so, did it ever do anything like this before?

If the bike is new to you, how are you telling that it is overheating?

What spark plug are you using? How does it look after the bike overheats?

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
When you say the bike is running really hot, do you mean it is over heating? Water boiling and gushing out the overflow pipe?
A 200cc two stroke shouldn't really get that hot if the cooling system is working ok. Example, it will never over heat if left ticking over for 10 miutes plus, unlike a big bore four stroke that would require a cooling fan.

My KDX250 has a light that comes on when the engine is too hot. The only time the light has come on was when I turned the air-screw in the carb too far in when tuning the bike.

Check: The coolant level in the bike.
There are no blockages in the cooling tubes.
The bike is getting enough air: no blockage in the air intake.

Basically, if the bike is getting toooo hot, it will seize. It hasn't seized yet has it?

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know what the problem was when you sort it out.

lumpy39us

Dec 21, 2007
Mine did that. It was an air bubble in the head. there is a bolt on the head that you can bleed the air outta the head. do it not running, just loosen and bleed till just fluid comes out. hope this helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom