tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
After 20+ years of riding with contact lenses, I'm going back to glasses for riding (darned astigmatism). With contacts, I chose goggles that had enough air flow not to fog, but yet not dry out the lenses (I used Smith with double pane lense and roll-offs). With glasses I'm finding that my glasses tend to fog up in slow going (my only goggles that fit over my specs are Scott 87 OTG). I've not got the double lense yet for the Scott. Are there any brands or models that fit over glasses well and flow air? I have an old pair of Smith violators with the removable foam that I will experment with, but can't find a double pane lense.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
try using a no fog cloth on your glasses, this might help alleviate some of the fogginess when riding slowly. I don't wear glasses, but I've got a pair of smith warp goggles and find them to flow more air than anything else I've tried. Unsure of how they'd fit over glasses though. Smith makes a set of goggles with a built in fan, this pulls air through the goggles even when stopped, might just be what you're looking for.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
If you want a double lens then get the Smith Warp Snowmobile goggle. Same frame as the motorcycle style but with a double lens. You can get these in colors or clear. I also bought a pair of Smith Slider sunglasses and had a optical guy make me prescription slide in lenses for those glasses which I wear under my Smith Warp Goggles. If you need a thick prescription lens then they can't make them for the sliders.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you wear glasses under your goggles, you really need the Qwik Strap. It lets you quickly remove the googles when they start to fog up. Your eyes are still protected by your glasses, which should have shatterproof lenses.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I struggled endlessly with fogging problems - the dual panes lense help, the anti fog cloths help... but neither entirely eliminate it. Best answer i finally found... Pro Vue Goggles - has a prescription insert - no glasses to fog now! work FANTASTIC! do a search on Pro Vue - lots of posts on it actually. a bit pricey though at around $160 - worth it in my opinion

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i use inserts by team m.o., a competitor of pro-vue's. they work great, way better than glasses. i bought a pair of the smith turbos, with the fan in them, & they are great when they work (take spare batteries), but the switch is bad in mine. next time i come across the receipt i'll see about getting them replaced.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
KTM Mike and Lawman
I have done a few rides with the glasses and am having problems with my glasses bouncing up and down and losing my focus (an thus going slow). I looked at the Pro-vue page, but I'm not sure how the lenses are attached to the frame. I typically take 3 or 4 pare of goggles to a race (or ride) and switch out at gas stops to get a clean lense and foam that isn't sweat-soaked, could I just swith the lenses out with each new frame?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by tm-enduro
KTM Mike and Lawman
I have done a few rides with the glasses and am having problems with my glasses bouncing up and down and losing my focus (an thus going slow). I looked at the Pro-vue page, but I'm not sure how the lenses are attached to the frame. I typically take 3 or 4 pare of goggles to a race (or ride) and switch out at gas stops to get a clean lense and foam that isn't sweat-soaked, could I just swith the lenses out with each new frame?

tm-enduro

we are alike with the going slow part...except for me thats got nothing to do with goggles:confused:

The pro-vues really are not really built for a quickie swap - i guess if you got better at it than i am it could be done though. what they do is a clear plastic lens, similar to a goggle lens, but thicker plastic, sets behind the normal goggle lens. This second lens then has inserted into it, two prescription lens that looks basically like what is in your glasses - the prescription ground lens kinda snap into that larger insert into holes cut to the shape of the prescription lens. two screws then go through holes in the goggle lens and hold the insert in place.

to take out the insert you first undo the screws, work the standard goggle lens out, put the insert with the prescription lens into the frame, put the standard goggle lens in place, then snug up the screws. It seems you should be able to pull the insert out the back of the goggles after the screws are removed but without removing the goggle lens. For some reason Pro Vue tells you not to do it that way (dunno why?). I suspect its because you risk flexing the insert to much and chance of cracking it.

Here's a chance to invent something... a way to attach fresh foam to your goggles easily! pull off the sweat soaked stuff, stick on some fresh stuff!

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
KTM mike
Thanks for the reply. The more I wear my glasses, the more I remember why I went to contacts in the first place. I guess I'll have to do some creative thinking and make something that works, only having one pair of goggles per ride will not work and a 5 second goggle switchout doesn't sound like a possiblilty.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
not so fast! the m.o.'s are a 5-sec. switch, i do it all the time. it is an insert that looks kinda like glasses with no temple pieces. it snaps into the goggles near the lens. to switch goggs, you just pop out the insert, pop it into the new goggs, & you are on your way. that's why i bought them over the others. mine are about 3 years old. they will fog, but they are much better than regular glasses & much more comfortable, too.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i think i found 'em in the back of dirt bike magazine. they fax a form to your eye doc, he fills it in w/your 'scrip & faxes it back, then your friendly postman brings you the new insert. i don't recall how much it was, but as i recall it was pretty reasonable. just be careful not to leave it in the sunlight in the truck, it's soft plastic & will warp. mine is a little warped, but i still like it anyway.

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
Sounds like the ProVue stuff or the inserts are the way to go. If you then need to wear your glasses from time to time, try the Oakley L frames. They worked well for me. Also, if you live near a big Lenscrafters or Pearle Vision Center style store, they have deals advertised from time-to-time where you get one pair of frames free with purchase of another. I got some pretty small frames that were sturdy, had good vision, and looked decent for cheap and they fit under most goggles that I have tried.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by lawman
not so fast! the m.o.'s are a 5-sec. switch, i do it all the time.

where were ya when i bought my ProVues! That really sounds great. Guess I will look at the m.o.'s next time around!

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I have more options. Hopefully soon I can get the Lasik surgery when they can correct my eyes properly.

alanreeves

Nov 10, 2001
I have an astigmatism too but it can be corrected if you use gas permeable contact lenses. They take a little getting used too, and are more expensive but now I think they are more comfortable than soft lenses. (don't dry out like the soft ones and you can wear them for longer)
Ask your optician because riding in glasses is a pain in the a$$!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I have had astigmatism corrective contact for years. I'm on my third pair. I don't wear them at work so I only buy new ones every two or three years. I wear them for playing tennis, basketball, skatboarding, swimming and surfing, but I don't like them for dirt biking. Too easy to get sand or dirt behind them riding. I use glasses and Scott OTGs. And I totally agree, Quick Strap is the way to go. Actually I don't wear goggles at all unless I'm racing or with a large group. I just wear polycarbonate (safety lens) glasses. I have found the type with the full rubber U shaped piece on the bridge works much better than the type with just two nose pads. Flat stems also seem to help.

paula

Jan 9, 2001
Glasses

I have bought at least one of ever gadget made because I can't use contacts. I never had any luck till I tried Pan-Optx from sport rx.com. They are glasses that have a foam pad that fits to your face and are called raptors. The price is steep but the quality of vision is perfect. I had to trim just a hair of the inner padding of each side of my helmet for a comfortable fit. These are fantastic for someone with vision problems.

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Prescription Goggles - Sources

Paula, You might have mentioned the Panoptx <http://www.panoptx.com/> Raptors START at $350!!

I did some quick searching on Google for something more reasonably priced: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prescription+goggles&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.sportrx.com/
Wide range of goggles and sunglasses (various manufacturers). Prices starting at about $80.

http://www.sporteyewear.com/
Scott goggles with prescription insert starting at $110. Ski goggles and sunglasses also.

http://www.prescriptiongoggles.com/
I think these are the original prescription goggles. I remember seeing ads for these when I was a kid.
Goggle complete with clear Prescription Lenses is $159.50.
Photogrey Lenses are $30.00 more- $ 189.50 + $4.40 for shipping in US and Canada.
Bifocals are $30 additional.

I could not locate anything like "Team M.O." -- maybe Lawman can pass along more specific info for us(?)

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
no prob. try: 1-888-rx goggle. advertised price is $79.

pro-vue is 800-548-8354 or www.pro-vue.com.

i also sometimes ride in sport glasses. i got mine from performance bicycle shop by mail order. with the prescription insert & gold, dark & clear lenses, they were about $100. i use them riding when dust won't be a problem or if i expect rain--they never fog no matter what. you have to watch for face slappers a little more & dust is no fun with them. i busted the frame once carrying the glasses in my fanny pack in an enduro, but they fixed them for free.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
A low tech option from hockey is to wipe your glasses down with some liquid soap( full strength) then buff the lenses dry...it really works,
good luck my bespeckled friend, I share your pain :eek:

Mar 13, 2001
I ride with glasses out here in the east where you can fog your goggles waiting for the start!:scream:

For dry races Oakley L frames w/tearoffs, For wet Smith Roll Offs (pref on Oakley frame but I usually run a Smith glasses frame). On both goggles I use a dremel tool to drill small holes in the lenses around the edge. And, if necessary I remove some of the foam around the sides until I get sufficient airflow. Then before each ride/race liberal application of a No-fog cloth.

I tried double pane lenses and had zero luck with them. My setup isn't very good for western style dust though. The Oakleys are the most comfortable goggles I've used and the foam seems to flow much better than Smiths or Scotts. Unfortunately they're hard to get in our area for some reason.

Good luck-

ORW

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I used the ProVue's before switching to contacts and they worked well except for dust. With ProVue's you have four surfaces for dust to collect on and cleaning the prescription insert was a pain - had to remove the screws. I usually don't have problems with my contacts under my Violators unless it is VERY dusty or I'm doing a lot of high speed fire road/paved road riding and my contacts dry out. Yes, I have an astigmatism - I use Cooper Toric lenses.

Yes, Dirt Bike Dave - the glasses I wear in the tight stuff are safety glasses:) I sweat like a pig and goggles fog up way too quick on me in the tight single track.

Brian

HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
Options...

I have been riding with Glasses for awhile now and just got used to them being a little uncomfortable, but not bad. Now I purchased new Glasses and a set of Bolle' Sunglasses with an insert of my prescription. The Bolle's have four different lenses you can swap out.
Also a friend of mine is in the Army and wears his Army Spec. Glasses all the time, including riding. He can remove his helmet with his Glasses on, works real slick. I have seen similar glasses at Pearle where I got my new glasses. They are sports glasses and most of them are UGLY but effective. Function before Form of course.

Top Bottom