TPbeMe

Dec 2, 2000
I'm considering installing an oversized front rotor on my DRZ-400E. What are the advantages of installing an oversized front rotor?
Quicker braking?
More controllable braking?
Less heating of the rotor?
Less brake fade?
Does it keep your front wheel from locking up as quickly as the stock OEM rotor?
Bottom line, does this product do as advertised?
I appreciate your experienced input.
Thanks,
TP

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Interesting question. I think maybe better brake pads might solve some of your problems, but I can't recommend any specific ones. A bigger rotor, with more surface area should stop quicker, and may also allow for more heat dissipation. Be careful that a bigger rotor will fit into your caliper. I would experiment with brake pads and brake fluid first. Good luck.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
All of the oversized rotor kits I have seen include caliper hangers to account for the larger O.D. of the rotor.
They work in conjunction with a properly set up brake system.

TPbeMe

Dec 2, 2000
Good replies, thanks!

But the question still remains, does a larger front rotor allow for quicker stopping, while at the same time, keeping the [front] wheel from locking up-- thus allowing for greater control? This is my primary concern, since, by allowing the front wheel the ability to keep rolling, it is my guess that overall control of the bike would be greatly enhanced.
TP

R White

Sep 13, 2001
yes I have a over size rotor on the front of my street bike yet rember each application is differnt make sure you get the right one for what you want to do:think :think

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, a stainless steel brake hose will make a bigger difference in control than the larger disc, but go ahead and get both. My bike has both and really stops great - much better than my buddy's DRZ, but some of that difference is probably weight.

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I doubt that the oversize rotor will make your brake lock up less easy. With increased braking comes an increased chance of locking up the wheel if you are heavy with the lever.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well lets get slightly scientific here, and I mean only slightly.

The bigger disc has more leverage over the wheel simple as that. Other related advantages may be more area to dissipate the heat.

Disadvantage is it may be easier to damage & may be heavier which is a drag for the suspension.

Random, the material may affect braking performance & suit some pads better or worse than stock.

The stock disc could be slightly warped which will aid locking at inopportune moments. If the power is greater it often does improve feel rather than having to “give it everything you’ve got” whenever you want to stop if your brakes are currently weak.

–‘course if you are ham fisted it will lock in a moment.

I’ve used oversize discs on a roadrace bike & the improvement was good but eventually decided that the weight penalty (in this instance of another model but bigger disc) was not worth it, but this may be irrelevant in this case.

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
Simple answer is Yes, the feel and control at the brake lever is better. As David said, it has to do with the higher leverage available because of the larger diameter of the rotor creating a larger swept area of the disc. The weight is not much of an issue as Braking rotors are only 10mm larger in radius than stock. And the wieght is unsprung so the suspension is unaffected. If you are competing, or the stocker is worn out, it is a worthwhile investment. We use stock Honda brake pads with the oversize and they work extremly well. Have fun.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yes, um all except the bit about the weight being unsprung not affecting suspension. Unsprung weight is precisely what you don’t want as it affects suspension as there is a bigger mass to control.

10mm isn’t much & who knows if the disc weight may be less if cut differently?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
They make a HUGE difference. I rode a KX with the wave rotor and it did stoppies with one finger on the brake easily. It was easy to modulate and was stock other that the rotor.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
As you may have heard, Zook brakes fall somewhere in the middle of modern bikes; I'm told not as good as Honda/Yamaha but better than Kawi & KTM. My word for the stock Suzuki system: grabby. Powerful & sufficient, but too switch-like to instill confidence off road.

To resolve this condition, I considered a stainless steel braded line, but Fastline stopped making one for my model ('97 RMX). Galfers (sp?) makes one (~$50), as well as what they say are superior pads, but I ran across a good deal on the Braking oversized rotor. Your DRZs and my RMX are the same model number.

Now I can activate the brake without concern of locking up. Much improved. Not out-of-this-world, but worth the $. The benefit must be from the mechanical-advantage, increased-leverage factor as stated in other posts.

I haven't tried stoppies yet, but would thing they'd be easier to achieve now. (I have an image of one if Thump wants to use it for my icon;)

Street price for the kit (White Bros.) is expensive @ $199. It comes with a new, machined caliper carrier, pads & rotor; the latter is 1/2" larger dia. than stock - a tight fit underneath the stock guard, but do-able.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
OK this is timely.
I’ve just gone to new rotors (std) & new pads + fluid & I’m bubbling about the drive to work in my van (it stops now yay!). Emphasises the importance of having everything in good condition & pistons & slides unseized etc. Make sure stock is in good condition first.

TPbeMe

Dec 2, 2000
As for the condition of my stock front rotor-- it's in good repair.
Again, my concern is with having better, quicker stopping power, while at the same time having a rotor that will allow for continued wheel roll -- not lock-up.
With the continued ability to roll, it is my best guess, that I'll gain better control coming into turns; as opposed to a sliding front wheel that's largely unsteerable.
Should I expect this improvement in handling from an after-market oversized front rotor?
As well, who makes the best oversized front rotor (Braking, White Bros. etc.) for my application?
Thanks guys,
TP

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by placelast
As you may have heard, Zook brakes fall somewhere in the middle of modern bikes; I'm told not as good as Honda/Yamaha but better than Kawi & KTM.

Excuse me? The KTMs have Brembo brakes with steel braided hoses straight from the factory. They stop the bike(at least the 380 SXs we've had in the garage plus the 'ber 501 that had the same brakes). MY YZ250 has a plastic/rubber hose that flexes and expands when I really pull on the lever, which obviously have a negative impact on deceleration.

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
Properly bled and maintained Brembos on a modern KTM will work just as good as the Nissins on the CR!!!

There are just too many variables to say that one system is better than other. I wonder if a floating disc has any noticeable effect though??

Scoott

Jun 1, 2000
I have a 520 MXC with an EBC oversized rotor . The three big improvements are (1) more stopping power with less effort (2) less grabby than stock. the bigger disc with stock pads modulates better the stock rotor which grabs harder initially, but doesn't stop as well if you really squeeze. (3) the oversize rotor doesn't squeak like the stocker.
On the 520, the oversize rotor was the second best improvement behind fixing the suspension.

Top Bottom