PhiliKDX

Aug 17, 2006
I was riding yesterday on my newly purchased 2000 KDX220 which has a temp light from a sensor on the left radiator.

After riding hard for about half an hour, low speed, with power in sand, mud and jumps, the temp light came on.

A little coolant drained from the overflow drain hose. After about 20 minutes, I started and road home with no problems. Has anyone else experienced this?

pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
Make sure the rads are clean through the fins. You can blow them through with a air line.Its suprising how much can build up around the fins restricting the air flow.

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
OZKX250 said:
220's are known for over heating issues. Do a search and you will have lots of info.

maybe over there but down here in hot humid south Texas they don't even come close. 100 degrees 50% humidity no problem in the tight woods.

start with the basics inspect the bike pull the plastic off shrouds, side panels and tank.

inspect the radiators you should be able to blow air or water through them make sure the fins are not smashed.

inspect your hoses and clamps

take your radiator cap to a shop or part store and ask if they can test it 14-18 psi for 6 seconds.

check your wheels for bearing or brake drag

change your coolant if you don't know what it is or the last time it was changed. I recommend inspecting the water pump when you do this.

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
Radiator Fans

2 Computer Fans were my solution:

I purchased one computer fan with the highest amperage available, got the next one from a trashed iMac computer. Both are 4 inch sizes. Black wire goes to ground. I sent the other wire to the high beam light, so that I would always know when they are switched on. I put the fans on the rear side of the left radiator. Test to make sure they are pulling the air through the radiator. Have not had a boil over since. I have had them on over a year.

Shaun

OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
krazyinski said:
maybe over there but down here in hot humid south Texas they don't even come close. 100 degrees 50% humidity no problem in the tight woods.

:bang: :coocoo:
We don't even have 220's here. Don't take my word for it then, do a search and see for yourself that it IS a common problem with 220's. :whoa: :blah:

Top Bottom