JohnRaven.exe

Jun 5, 2006
Theres been a few threads floating around about people painting/wanting to paint they're frames. So, it has got me thinking a bit... (As the title says...) I have a '86 Yamaha XT350... Its white and red. I would like to paint it black & silver, but I don't think it would work too great painting the plastic's on it. And if I did paint the frame, I want it to STICK... What do you guys think, keep it the traditional white & red, paint it black & silver, paint it pink, lol ???? I need suggestions!!! :nod:

Thanks!!

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
I think it would be pretty tight black and silver, Im an auto paint tech by trade, I would sand the frame really well with 400 grit then go around all the edges really good with a red scotch bright pad ( also equivelent to 400 grit just gets in the grooves a little better) if you can try and use a small gravity feed gun with a urethane base/clear paint it will work excellent. First spray a universal non-sanding sealer before you apply base, then clear. As for the plastics even scuffing really well and a plastic adhesive promoter, the paint will only stay on the very flexible plastic for a short time before cracking and trying to peal. I would look in to just replacing the plastics with new, their pretty cheap. Thats an awesome trail bike, Im thinking about selling the yz450 and getting something like a ttr 250 or something, just because I trail ride more than MX, and I really like blasting through the woods at night, Kinda has a Star Wars land speeder feel to it.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
sand blast it, and primer it, seal it, paint it, clear it
plastics look good painted as well
i have a spare seat for it if your interested ,rear fender too-- cheep!!

JohnRaven.exe

Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the replys!!!

I just painted part of my side panels with some Krylon Fusion. It looks pretty good, but we'll see how long it lasts. I was looking at some Universal Fenders at Bike Bandit.com.... Since these are "Universal" does that mean I need to drill them to fit my bike?? If so, thats cool. BTW. They are cheap!!! (If I'm looking at the right ones) They are... "UFO Universal Plastic Front Black Fender (500 Standard)" I'm not sure if those will work or not, so if YOU know, please tell me ;)

Also, anyone know where I can get some black fork boots? Or do you think the red ones I have now can be altered in anyway to be a different color? :rotfl:

And...Seat, what color? condition, and how much :P ? same with the rear fender... Just curios :)

Top Bottom