Passive bleed shims on base valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OK, i am on my 3rd set of forks now. the first ones, yz426 had a 10.1 and a 24.1(might have been 27.1) passive shims that must meter the oil flow going compression circuit (a small amount). I then did the forks on my yz250, although it had been revalved there were none of these passive bleed shims. it was explained to me that there only purpose was to stop front end dive on the big thumper, i took them off and it also made sense not having them since these forks have such a large midvalve lift.

so enter my 02rm125 which has wayyyy soft forks (showa), although the midvalve is soft, it only has a 0.2mm lift, so imagine my surprise when i take the passive valving apart on these forsk to find a whole shim stack with clamp and everything on the passive bleed circuit.

so, i have been instructed to ditch them which kinda makes sence given the mods i am doing to the mid and passive valving on these showas.

so, i am interested to hear everyones opinions on these pesky little shims. do you run them, or are they just needed on stock bikes that need a very wide clicker settings with a one fork fits all kind of deal.

cheers

BC

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i want to bump this one to the top- last time time i put this up, i got stood up like a fat chick on prom night!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
so your not a fat chick and its not prom night;)

The "it's not prom night" is the only part i'm believing :)  

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
You know, I really don't have an idea what that passive bleed shims thing looks like. I am reading basevalve and after that i am lost. Pls explain it to me, i like to learn. I think a picture is not on file?
Is the bleed shim, between the piston and the actually comp stack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom