YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
Check out the article below.... We have people burning our flag and protesting over the 9/11 attacks but a song cannot be performed because everyone wants to be politically correct.... I'm sick of this stuff..... Can't we show a little patriotism??? :p

Singer says ABC's Jennings gave him the boot
Country star says lyrics too controversial for July 4 special
June 13, 2002 Posted: 8:03 PM EDT (0003 GMT)

Keith: "I know how angry I was when I saw those towers come down, and this is my way of serving my country."

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- ABC's Peter Jennings gave the boot to country singer Toby Keith after deciding the lyrics of his hit song, "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue," were too controversial for the network's July 4th special celebrating America.

At least, that's the version from the roughneck Oklahoma native. ABC, on the other hand, has said logistics and "a number of other factors" prevented the network from booking Keith for its three-hour special, being hosted by Jennings, who is Canadian.

How will this tune play out?

The controversy centers on the lyrics at the end of the song, a tough-edged tune that captures much of the patriotism and anger that swept the country in wake of the September 11 attacks.

"You'll be sorry you messed with the U.S. of A. 'cause we'll put a boot in your ass. It's the American way," the song says.

Keith, 40, wrote the song, initially titled "Angry American," soon after the attacks as a tribute to his father, an Army veteran who lost his right eye in a combat training mission. His dad, H.K. Covel, had died about five months before September 11 and taught his boy to "be a flag-waving patriot."

"I was real angry when I saw that second plane hit that tower and wondered what my dad would have thought about it. And the lyrics just fell out of me," he told CNN's TalkBack Live.

Keith never planned to record the song. But when he sang it at the Pentagon, the U.S. Naval Academy, and for troops serving in the Bosnia region, he knew it was his duty as singer and songwriter to release it.

"The response was so tremendous, I said, 'Hey, we're allowed to be angry.' I know how angry I was when I saw those towers come down, and this is my way of serving my country," Keith said in an interview on CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports.

Keith said he had no plans to discuss publicly the row with Jennings, but he was outraged after the network released its statement, which said the country singer had never been booked for the show. The statement didn't mention anything about Jennings' alleged objections.

"They're saying this isn't about lyric content, and it is. And I respect my right as an American to say what I want to say, and [Jennings] can say what he wants to say," Keith told CNN.

Keith said the network approached his agent about him opening the show -- "practically begged us" -- and that he agreed on May 16, sending ABC written confirmation that he would appear. But last Friday, the network informed him that "we'd been nixed from the show."

"They said Mr. Jennings didn't like the lyric content, and this wasn't going to be on his show," he said. "Let's make sure that everybody knows that it's not because we weren't booked on there. It was because of lyric content."

And let there be no doubt, Keith added, that he is a patriot.

"When nobody really thought you needed to fly a flag and patriotism was gone, we flew one in our yard," he said.

In ABC's statement, the network said its three-hour special is "to celebrate the history of America through its music," including country, jazz, rock, barber shop, and gospel tunes. Among those scheduled to appear are Sheryl Crow, Brooks & Dunn, the Boston Pops, the United States Air Force Band, and the Singing Sergeants.

"While we have cast a wide net searching for performers and considered adding Toby Keith to the lineup, unfortunately a number of factors, including logistical ones, prevented us from booking him," ABC said.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well Keith is saying what a lot of us really want to say. Of course you couldn't do that on network news. :silly:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
After suffering through several "Peter Jennings Distorting" specials, I make it a point not to watch anything that he is associated with.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
That blows big time. The major forms of media (tv, papers etc) really have to change in this country. I remember people talking about the afghans only seeing what the State wanted them to on their State run TV stations. Somehow I don't think we are much better off.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jennings is a news reporter. He can't stand being just that, he has to add comments (his own I'm certian) after just about every feed.
It may only be a word or a grunt, but he can't help but add his politically correct two cents.

You know what IT'S FLAG DAY!
GOD BLESS THE USA!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
TTRguy said:
I remember people talking about the afghans only seeing what the State wanted them to on their State run TV stations. Somehow I don't think we are much better off.
Except, TTR, it's only what the L iberal media wants us to see . . . :silly:

Last edited:

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I agree with Vic----I don't watch Peter Jennings any longer either...

Maybe Toby Keith needs to put a boot in Peter Jennings a**...... :aj:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Here's a quote from Toby Keith

"I find it interesting that he's not from the U.S.," Keith says of Jennings, who is Canadian. "I bet Dan Rather'd let me do it on his special."

I think that says it.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Here's a thought....the United States Air Force Band, and the Singing Sergeants could do their rendition of Keith's song. That would put a burr up Jennings butt.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
This is a non-issue. The only people who should give a care are those whose rear ends will recieve a boot. Americans should be happy he's expressing his opinions FREELY and using his FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS...

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Go Toby!

Attachments

• flag2.gif
    flag2.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 158

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sr.... Remember, we need to watch 'em...keeps us up on just what them rascals is cookin' up! :)

Very kewl flag, TTR!

Top Bottom