Performance tips

2002kx125

Jun 29, 2004
Need Performance tips

I have a 02 KX 125 and I want more performance in it. I just bought boyessen carcon fibre reeds and they work great. However I want more. I ordered a procircuit R304 silencer so hopefully that will help. I don't wanna blow my brains out on this bike I just wanna know if I can get some performance spending alittle bit of money. Thanxs

Last edited:

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
How much money do you want to spend? What kind of power are you looking for? The mods you have mentioned: reeds and silencer, will not really add power but they will change the power characteristic. If you want more power, keep the stock pipe and silencer and go with a big bore kit. The 144cc kit is very popular and will make your KX much better all the way through the power band.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
If your silencer hasn't been repacked lately; I'd start out with that. A blown out silencer will reduce performance and increase the noise level. If this doesn't work, you'll need to look at a spark arrester type silencer. Typically, these tame the motors a bit; but not much.

2002kx125

Jun 29, 2004
need performance

I'm willing to spend money that is worth spending. If I'm spending lots of money I want lots of performance. I can't use a big bore kit because its illegal in racing. Also is a bondi engine worth putting in. Will it help my bike lots? I'm planing on putting a wiseco domb piston in for high compresion and also shaving the head. I'm also gunna port & polish. I've got the silencer and I'm thinging about the pipe. Do you got any other ideas or modifications?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Bottom line is are your skills up to par that your getting every drop out of the stock setup? One of our local race families here had two brothers share an 02 KX125 last season for part of the season. The bike had a full Bondi engine, one brother was back of the pack with it the other was capable of and did win the class with the bike. The majority of the racers I see would be better off saving their money on mods and getting some riding lessons, jetting the bike spot on and keeping the tires fresh. If your confident your skills are beyond reproach I would consider getting Bondi or Eric Gorr to set the engine up with some porting and head mods to run race gas. As a footnote I would spend any money I had on getting the suspension set up perfect before I dropped a penny on the motor.

2002kx125

Jun 29, 2004
Do you think I should keep my stock suspention or will Landing Gear Suspention work better?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There is nothing wrong with the stock suspension as long as the spring rates are right for you and you have your race sag etc setup correctly. Landing gear suspension is nothing more than your stock stuff modified to suit your weight and riding style. I would find a reputable suspension shop in your area and give them a call to discuss your weight, riding style etc and see what they recommend. My son moved up to a RM 125 this season and he was struggling with the bike terribly. We had the suspension done by Roy Borton http://www.royborton.com who set us up with lighter springs, and a complete Too Tech suspension setup (valving, sub tank etc) and the difference was night and day.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…