ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Met up with Oldandslo and MxBundy Sunday A.M. at the Wilson Ranch staging area in Phelan. I wasn't sure if the pull-over sweatshirt and jersey were going to be enough, as the wind was blowing right off of the snow up on Wrightwood, but once we got going, the weather wasn't an issue, as the pace was hot!
We twisted our way up a nice single track to the ridges, which we proceeded to ride almost to the freeway, where we picked up a couple single track 'short-cuts' that dumped us out on the ridge over-looking the truck run-away ramp.
Mr. ranger was out again checking stickers and spark arrestors, and talking about the new trails that should be opening next year that will make the ridge trail into a loop. Also met several other groups of riders out on the ridges, but we pretty much had the single track to ourselves.
The great thing about the colder weather was that the fatigue factor doesn't set in as quickly because you don't overheat.
Eel---we found some more great twistys for you to try next time you come out.
Thumbs---sorry you couldn't make it.
Elk---you would have hated it--we did over 50 miles!:p
Thanks guys for another great ride! DRNers are the best!:)

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Hey guys,

Had a great time, even if i was 20 minutes late. That ride at Ocatillo on Sat. with desert_racer had me huggin the pillow and the wife:p a little to long.
The weather held, only had a few drops of rain and one spell of hail!!!:scream:
Man am I sore today though.
But as posted elsewere I`m on a mission to get in better shape, want to loose 40# by March 1st.
Ktmboy and oldandslow held a good fast pace and we covered a lot of ground.
There is still more trails where those came from, maybe we need to go out and back the pace down and just explore a little, I bet we could put a honest 40 mile loop together.
All you other guys missed out.
See you all next time.

later mxbundy

ps. everyone should ask for enduro jackets for xmas, its supposed to be a cold wet winter this year.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. You know how when you should load up and get on home but you go for one last ride?
Well after you guys went on your last little ride I decided to do a few laps on the track, big mistake, lost the front end and went down hard, big bruise on the ol left but check makes it hard to walk or stand.But at least the old Pro-Tapers didnt bend like that guys Renthals.:cool:

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
50 miles? Now that's a good day.

Cool - it's always a great time there with the right people. I'm bummed I couldn't make it. It'll be another 2 weeks before I'm back in action. The dealer had to order all the parts and then I have to put the engine back in, and then put everything else back together. I suspect this will present more of a challenge than taking it apart did. It was a good exercise though and I got to clean everything real good. Finally was able to change the needle clip position too ! Finally !

So - new trails huh ? I can't wait.

Bundy - what's a but check ? Is that some kind of hockey move ? :)

See you fellas soon ... hopefully soon.

Last edited:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Bundy - what's a but check ? Is that some kind of hockey move ?

Eel,

Give the big guy a break... We did 57 miles on Sat. and he did another 50 on Sunday. His TWO typing fingers are probably a little tender :) :)

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Heck, he's a WORCS and Hare Scramblin' kinda guy - he should be fine ! :)

Seriously though, he's great to ride with 'cause he's by far one of the fastest guys I've met and he's such a nice dude. He's always been willing to let me stall his 250F out a few times every time I see him. :think You gotta watch him though 'cause he'll shadow you when you ride. He's like a stalker that way. Like Darth Maul or Boba Fett - clearly an emissary of evil 4-stroke forces.

Sounds like you put him through his paces though ... May the Force Be With You and your 300 E/XC !

Last edited:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
We had a pretty good time..

It was the first time I have ridden in 10 months and the first ride on my new bike so I just couldn't pull it together in the morning. Our second ride however I started to loosen up an could almost keep up with the big guys dust. I did take the mighty 250 in a drag race though. Go figure.

Your right about him sharing his bike, it seems like everybody else rode the 250 more than MX did. He's a great guy to ride with and I can't wait to meet the rest of the SoCal crew. Maybe by the weekend of the 15th & 16th I'll have permission to leave the house again.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Cool - I should be back in action by then.

Did I hear someone say Phelan ? 15th or 16th ?

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Phelan again.......

Ok boys listen up........
Gunny bundy here!
So you sorry excuses for dirtbike riders want another go around at Phelan .
Well you better eat your c-rations cus next time i`m not gonna go light on your panzy behinds. Corporal Koeslag ( Kevin ) and I will have you cryin for mama.
No one stops till I say stop. Got it! I got a big tank and shes good fer at least 100 miles, you run out, sorry looks like your pushin, gonna see just what you 2 smoke guys are made of. I dont think you can handle the truth!

later mxbundy

ps. oldandslow your excluded from this pt of course, rank and age have its privilages.:p

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
OK, that's it, myself and the other 2 strokers will make an appearance on the weekend of the 15th! Let's make it the 15th if possible and we can pick a place to ride also, maybe Corona? Doesn't matter, I'm gonna fill my camel back with gas! Let's plan this ride guys, and Bundy, we really don't want to hear about your cheek problem pal! I'm also planning a ride at Glen Helen next week too so I'll post that one for anyone that wants to join in.

Sorry I missed the Phelan ride though, sounds like it was a great one. Hope to see you dark siders soon!
Elk

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Sorry I missed it. Honestly, I couldn't get online at home and when I left work fri. we hadn't settled on a time or place. It was wierd , the net kept saying the DRN Forums page could not be desplayed all night on Sat. I even called Thumbs on his cell, but he didn't have access either. Oh Well. next time. Hopefully soon maybe this week? It's really sad, my KLX actully had a little dust on it:(

Also, LT checked in, he said he might be all healed and good to go in 2 weeks.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
100 miles. The farthest I have gone is 65 miles. I`ll put my big tank on, and if you leave ribbon markers on your trails I`ll follow. I may be slo and old but I`ll give it shot. It just might take a week to recoop instead of 2 days.

Bundy, to bad we didn`t stick around to see you check out the dirt. You are so far ahead on the trails that you could take a nap on the side of the trail,while waiting for me. Thats how you got poison oak that one time, right.

The last ride was great. With the new trails that we were on Phelan just might be better than Gorman.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I will pencil in the 15th for Phelan. I definately want to explore some more of those canyons! And I'm up for a 100 mile day if we get an earlier start, as it tends to get real cold after 3:00 P.M. Of course, my 2-smoke will have to sneak back to the transport for at least one re-fueling if we do 100, but that shouldn't be an issue since we'll be doing loops anyways!
Eel- I bumped my jetting up due to the colder temps, and the KTM ran great-bring some fatter jets with you just in case! I went up on both the pilot and the main, and fine tuned the air screw once I got up there. You'll want to be a tad fat on your main if your top-end is new.:D
Jeff-can you come out and play? You won't believe the new stuff we found. One trail was so hardly used, it doesn't have any whoops yet!
Bundy- we found a trail that was off the ridges that is signed as a legal route. Eeel and I had stumbled onto the same trail a few weeks ago, but didn't follow it to it's conclusion. It's a good trail to start on, and ends up near the back side of the sand hill. Speaking of the sand hill, Oldandslo gave it a real good attempt, but found too much traction up at the right hand bend and almost looped it! I think with all the rain we got last night it should be packed pretty good right now. Maybe next time?:confused:
Elk-Let's put some miles on that RM this time! If Eric and Tony and Jeff all show, the 2-smoke army will be well represented.
Desert racer-sure would be nice to have another orange bike there!

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Just picked up new fork seals today... So it looks like I'm in.

Bundy - Will Corporal Koeslag ( Kevin ) be able to walk by then? After he put that scissors move on the back tire of your 250 doing 40+ on Saturday I didn't think he would want to see another Knobbie for a while. :o :scream: :o

ktmboy - I know.. Us pumpkin riders have to stick together. The boys in blue challenged me to a flat our Drag race on Sat. I have to say I was might proud of the pumpkin that day. Wore out Bundy's 250F so bad it took four of us to start it. Damn 4-strokes. ;)

I too will have to do a gas stop if we do 100. I haven't gotten a desert tank yet.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I don't know if I'm physically capable of doing 100 ! But I'll try.

I will definitely need to do at least one gas stop though ... should be fun tryin'.

Hopefully the bike will be ready by then. I think it will.

Got some pretty new graphics for it too.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
D_R,

Iwas gonna ask you about your suspension, what did you decide to do?
Yea ol Kevin was a hurtin pup on Sun., when I droped him off on Sat. he said he wanted to go on Sun. but alas the pain whas too much for the lad. Looks a purple heart for the corporal and probably some things that are purple that you cant mention here.:p

later mxbundy

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
After discussing it with my loan officer (the wife) I decided to get new seals and a seal driving tool and replace them myself. I am going to wait till all of the Christmas bills come in before dropping 6 to 8 bills on the suspension. I guess your safe...FOR NOW :p

I should be ready to go on the 15th though :) :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm doing Glen Helen on the 13th and I'll plan on Phelan on the 15th, yeehaaa! I'll check the posts to see what time to assemble. I posted the ride for the 13th so join me there too,

Elk
2 strokes shall live forever! Death to Lord 4-stroke! (Not death really, maybe a flat though!)

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
KTM-I did loop it. I landed flat on my back 10 feet below the bike. That was my 4th incident of the day.Next time I`ll see if I can hold on. I guess I can`t blame the bike if I fall of the back.

Eel-Hope you get that bike together in time. Nothing like a long ride to get in shape.

See you guys on the 15th.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I hope so ... especially after that awesome Gorman ride. I'm just ITCHIN' to ride. Know what I mean Darth Bundy ? :p

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Flats?

Tanks alot elk, you just had to mention the " F" word.
Its been 2 rides and flat free so far, so lets not rock the boat.
I think a set of Black excell`s with a 20" on the front and an 18 " on the rear would cure my flat proplems.:p
These little 125 size tires on my dark mobile dont have enough " cushin " for a rider of my, ahem..... size!
Looks like I need a couple of Sat. jobs to pay for em......

Hey guys, if desert_racer signs on and becomes a regular, this could have major implications on our social status here on DRN. He has one of those picture thingies your not supposed to mention....

later mxbundy

PS. any body want to go to Laughlin this weekend and do some WORCS racin?

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
With my luck I'll be the one running without air! Come on out to Glen Helen next week, great outdoors track.
Elk

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Would love to, i`ll just have to wait and see how the work thing shakes out.
Glen Helen is my favorite track, it suits my oldschool stay on the ground style.:(

later mxbundy

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thursday, 9am. Be there, Lord of the Dark, leader of the adjustable valves.

Top Bottom