Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
My wife won a trip to Chicago through work, so we will be on our way next Friday. Any must see attractions while I am there?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Squid31 said:
My wife won a trip to Chicago through work, so we will be on our way next Friday. Any must see attractions while I am there?
Rich and Nikki can provide the best information for you. For starters, look here: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=158065&highlight=Chicago

What kind of things do you enjoy? Architecture, people, art, museums, history, food, nightlife, shopping, other? Narrow it down some as there is plenty of each.

Always too much to see & do in downtown Chicago. Never enough time; you'll have to prioritize! Have fun. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Squid - Where in the city will you be staying?

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Thanks SpDyKen. That link was quite useful.

Rich, we don't have the details yet but should know this evening. I was there about 10 years ago and I went to an awesome Japanese restaurant. We were staying near Lincolnshire and the restaurant wasn't too far from there. I would really like to take my wife to a place like that, because it was probably the most fun I have ever had out for dinner.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Squid31 said:
Thanks SpDyKen. That link was quite useful.

Rich, we don't have the details yet but should know this evening. I was there about 10 years ago and I went to an awesome Japanese restaurant. We were staying near Lincolnshire and the restaurant wasn't too far from there. I would really like to take my wife to a place like that, because it was probably the most fun I have ever had out for dinner.

http://www.benihana.com/locations/wheeling-il-wh

That's about 25-30 miles Northwest of downtown Chicago.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
That could possibly be the place. Still no info but I'm sure we will be staying downtown somewhere. Hopefully I will know tomorrow.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
"Downtown" is a big place... hopefully you'll be staying in the loop.. LOT's of photo-ops in America's greatest big city. There is simply no place like Chicago.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That's perfect. It puts you on the North end of Michigan Ave, about a 1/4 mile West of the Lakefront, and near the old Water Tower site. Just grab you camera gear and walk out the door (especially at night) and you'll find great shots everywhere you look.

With any luck they will have some of Michigan Ave lit up already for Christmas.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Its been 10 years since I was at Ron of Japans in Chicago. Unbelievable cuisine, cook the food right in front of you, and the Chef's show, wow! Baby cows and lobster, plenty of drool! Lunch at Portillos, or the Hard Rock? Pizza, Ginos. The camera thing, any direction you go!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Squid - Did you get any good shots while you were in Chicago?

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Sorry Rich, I've been a busy guy lately. I did manage to snap a few photos, but nothing like what I would have liked to do. It was freezing that weekend I didn't really pack for it, so I didn't take hardly any night shots. Also the sky was crappy during the day so I just wasn't motivated to do much then either.

Here's a couple that I did get...

On the way down in the Sears Tower..

_MG_1139.jpg

Japanese restaurant..

_MG_1150.jpg

Shot at night going back to the room after dinner..

_MG_1123.jpg

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
So, how was the Japanese food you ate? Worth a mention?

Hope you had a good time; hard not to, even when the weather doesn't cooperate.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Nice pictures.I esp like your cafe shot.Lots of depth and character.The chef's tight and slightly turned down lips speak to me that he is deep in thought and alone with them in a very colorful and artistic room that is normally full of people in excited conversation but now is eerily empty.He is just off center towards the right and the flowers and vase just off to the left.Almost like despair on the right and hope on the left.Empty lifeless chairs on the bottom and a high and lofty ceiling with strong wooden beams signifying your thoughts can ascend and soar or go down to despair and loneliness.A mostly brown picture that brings out the flowers and white chefs clothing.Perfect lighting.
If you whole trip was getting this picture alone you did well.This picture could sell in an art gallery.

Last edited:

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
SpDyKen said:
So, how was the Japanese food you ate? Worth a mention?

Hope you had a good time; hard not to, even when the weather doesn't cooperate.

I really wanted to go to Ron Of Japan because it was a Hibachi place, but it was not open when we had a chance to go. REALLY SHORT TRIP... So we had a late lunch next door (can't remember the name) It was pretty good. I ordered the salmon Teriyaki, ant it was really good, but the other stuff that came with the meal not so much. I ordered sushi for an appetizer and it was ok, but I don't think I would do it again.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Squid31 said:
Sorry Rich, I've been a busy guy lately. I did manage to snap a few photos, but nothing like what I would have liked to do. It was freezing that weekend I didn't really pack for it, so I didn't take hardly any night shots.

The good news is, Chicago is great in the summer, and looks just as good, so make sure and come back. :cool:

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Actually I just set the camera on the table, set the timer, Av mode, and let it rip. Didn't even look through the viewfinder, but I agree, it's a cool photo :)

RYDMOTO said:
Nice pictures.I esp like your cafe shot.Lots of depth and character.The chef's tight and slightly turned down lips speak to me that he is deep in thought and alone with them in a very colorful and artistic room that is normally full of people in excited conversation but now is eerily empty.He is just off center towards the right and the flowers and vase just off to the left.Almost like despair on the right and hope on the left.Empty lifeless chairs on the bottom and a high and lofty ceiling with strong wooden beams signifying your thoughts can ascend and soar or go down to despair and loneliness.A mostly brown picture that brings out the flowers and white chefs clothing.Perfect lighting.
If you whole trip was getting this picture alone you did well.This picture could sell in an art gallery.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
The good news is, Chicago is great in the summer, and looks just as good, so make sure and come back. :cool:

I've been to quite a few cities in both Canada and the USA, and Chicago is my favorite so far. I can't believe how clean the downtown core is, and the buildings are absolutely fantastic.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom