orlowskij

Sep 28, 2003
I'm looking to get into photography, and I'm trying to decide on what camera to purchase. I will be shooting primarily motocross and other fast sports. I want a digital, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 4, but I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas or experience?

Last edited:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I use Nikon and have for over 20 yrs, but I would go with Canon because the CMOS sensor is far better than the CCD, imgaine clarity and color will be better, also look into the D20 or 20D or whatever it is, it's a good base to start with

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
As the only 8 megapixel camera in the mix, I would probably go with the xt. The Nikons have a faster shutter, but I'm not sure you would notice the difference. The higher megapixel count will allow for larger prints and better quality when cropping.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
For sports.. save up a few more $ and get the 20D ... faster (and more) frames, bigger buffer, much sturdier build (mag body instead of the XT's plastic). I just went thru the same process (which to get) after mucho research and advice from shooters, went with the 20D as JPIVEY suggested above.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I use a much-abused 20D at work and really like it ... though I'm no photographer, and some of our lenses are messed up, I've gotten some excellent shots with it.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Another thing to keep in mind is lenses, both Nikon and Canon have great glass, but, Canon has the avantage with the seperate motor in the lens making it totally seperate from the body, the avantage of this is faster focusing in the auto mode.

The avantage of the 20D over the Rebel line is the rebel is limited to only 50 lenses in the Canon line, where the 20D uses all 150+ lense in the line

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
JPIVEY said:
The avantage of the 20D over the Rebel line is the rebel is limited to only 50 lenses in the Canon line, where the 20D uses all 150+ lense in the line

I hadn't heard that before. Out of curiousity what line of lenses can't the Rebel use that the 20D can? Back to the original question, I would cross the 300D off the list due to the lack of AI Servo in any mode other than preset (sports) mode. I went through this several months ago and opted to save money so I got the 300D. I have since upgraded to the 20D, Had I been back at square one with the knowledge I have now I'd likely own the Nikon D70 which is now the D70s. If you can afford the price the 20D is far superior to any of your options listed as others have stated.

If you consider the used market the 20D comes in closer to the range you are looking at now. Many pro photographers that shoot moto would also advise you to considering grabbing a used 1D instead of one of the "prosumer" cameras. They claim once you use a Pro level camera you'll never go back.

orlowskij

Sep 28, 2003
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I hadn't been looking at the 20D, but i may now. I don't need the camera till January, so maybe I'll save and see if I can get the 20D. Keep the suggestions coming though.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Chili said:
I hadn't heard that before. Out of curiousity what line of lenses can't the Rebel use that the 20D can?

Even though the lens mounts are the same, Lenses with the Image Stabilizer will not operate with the Rebel Line'

I do have to say, my D100 has had the sh*t beat out of it the last 3 yrs, the rain, dust, cold ( 20 degs ), the heat ( 118 degs ) and it has never let me down. :cool:

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
JPIVEY said:
Even though the lens mounts are the same, Lenses with the Image Stabilizer will not operate with the Rebel Line'

Partially true I think. As an example my 300 IS will work with my D30 body as well as my 20D, but my 17~85 IS will only fit on my 20D body.

Interesting tidbit ... the 300 has the little red dot on the lens to align the lens and the body. The 17~85 has a white pyramid but no red dot, and it is in a different spot. The D30 body has the red dot and the 20D has both the red dot and the white pyramid.

I'm guessing there is clue in there somewhere.

Oh, back on track, hold out for the 20D. You will be glad you did.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
JPIVEY said:
Interesting...... A guy I work with is loaning me his lens with image stabilizer for the weekend and he as I have rebels and he uses it all the time

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Ok, so you all know that I'm not making this stuff up, I had to find the Lens chart and copy this part of it

*12. The Image Stabilizer does not operate with the following cameras:
EOS 650, 620, 630/600, RT, 700, 750, 850, EOS-1, A2/A2E, 10s, Elan,
Rebel/Rebel S, Rebel II/Rebel SII.

This doesn't mean the lens won't work as a lens because the mounts are the same, it just means the IS will not function correctly or at all and IS is a hard thing to detect unless you are shooting in low light

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's my understanding as well that the IS will not function with the Rebel... it very well may take pics though :) .

I'm stilll not entirely sold on IS... yes, it's good for 3 stops in low light and I suppose it's cool not to have to use a tripod, but I probably would anyway. For moto, it would be good for pan shots, but at normal light levels and realtivaly high shutter speeds, seems it wouldn't be worth the $, or for that matter usable at all.

With my f/2.8 Sigma lense (24-70 EX DG) and the excellent 20D, I can shoot in completely normal level, incandescent light without issue (no flash), hand held.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Ah Ha Too, Chili is on the ball, I didn't pick up on that but, Somewhere on the specs of the two it says that the Rebel D300 & D350 are only compatible with 50 lenses and the 20D is compatible with all.

As far as the IS, It is my understanding that digital Rebel is still based on the Rebel Body, also the IS/USM lenses are not compatible on the rebel, there is no pickup on the body mount to activate motor in the lens, could be the same reason the IS don't work.

But like Okie said, the IS isn't really worth the money, but I would love the have a lens with the USM

orlowskij said:
On my list of options?

No, I think the Lens compatibility chart

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
You're making me work too hard JPIVEY :laugh: . According to several reviews I found online the 300D is compatible with all EF and EF-s lenses. I know several people using USM lenses on their 300D's.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
USM and IS.. Okay
high speed motors and IS are not the same, lol. I guess I'm lost.

So you've got a 300-350D. And a HSM, IS lens. What works, what doesn't?

Avoid it all and get a 20D, both work for sure :)

IS: take it or leave it... great for low-light and no tripod.
HSM: super-fast auto-focus, great for sports (MX).

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Well, I can't disagree with Chili at all, I don't think what I've been told hold as much weight as first hand knowlage, I just did the same thing as Chili and read a few reveiws that said ALL in the EF/EF-S line.

I know the lens will mount up , but does the IS/USM really work as it should ?. I don't know first hand, only what I was told.

I did out test a 20D w/ a 70-200 2.8 IS/USM and it was unbelievably fast focusing, way faster than my D100 w/ a 80-200 2.8 AF-S and it did it at all focal pts, the motion was fast ( blink of a eye ) and sure.

My setup is slower and tends to track in and out too much, so to avoid that I use manual mode

But despite the differences in compatibility, the 20D is the better choice, IMH (but not always right) O

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
And I need to quit reading these threads, it just makes me want to sell my stuff and switch to Canon

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
JPIVEY said:
And I need to quit reading these threads, it just makes me want to sell my stuff and switch to Canon

:laugh: I've seen plenty of rumor threads about a kickass new Nikon coming down the plank to replace the D100 so no sense parting with your setup just yet.

Top Bottom