JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Man, I hope so, buying digital is like buying a computers, as soon as you own one it's obsolete or soon to be.

86endurochmp

Jun 19, 2007
Just wondering a couple years down the road if any of you have revised your opinions of the image stabilizing technology? I purchased a Rebel xti for shooting the kids sports events, but haven't used it much since last fall. I'll be looking to upgrade the lens & possibly buy a second used body later this year.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
For my use (non-actin shooting) IS (or VR II in Nikon terms) has been a god send. It's proven time and again to be a huge help in tough situations, even on a tripod. The VR features in my 70-200mm lens make all the difference when hand holding that big glass at slower shutter speeds.

As for the decision to buy a Canon or a Nikon body, when someone can look at a print and know it was shot with a Nikon or a Canon I'll start giving a damn. Until then I'll worry more about talent over technology minutia. I know I bought more technology than I have talent to use it. ;)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
For my use IS (or VR II in Nikon terms) has been a god send. It's proven time and again to be a huge help in tough situations, even on a tripod.

As for the decision to buy a Canon or a Nikon body, when someone can look at a print and know it was shot with a Nikon or a Canon I'll start giving a damn. Until then I'll worry more about talent over technology minutia. :)

As Rich states you really need to assess the type of shooting you do. I want to be clear my opinion is not that IS is a useless technology, it simply has not merit for my type of shooting. And Rich your inner gear head is churning over the highlighted comment ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
And Rich your inner gear head is churning over the highlighted comment ;)

Doug - The sad fact is, bad pictures are bad pictures. Technology won't save me this time. :bang:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
By the way, the IS lenses DO work with the newer Rebels (350D and 400D). I was at a photography seminar last week and one of the guys there was shooting with two Rebel bodies (one black 350D and one silver 400D). He was switching between the Canon 17-40L lens and the 70-200 f2.8 IS on both cameras and he got some really nice shots.

It seemed like half the class was walking around with the 70-200 f2.8 IS lens on all sorts of Canon bodies. I need to find a way to make more money so I can finally plunk some cash down on one of those bad boys! :cool:

Top Bottom