Nov 8, 2010
pilot qs UPDATED 12/5/2011

okay so bike finally in 1 bit and is runing now!!!.

i have a 52 pilot in there now. 1st start i held its idle by hand till it was warm the set an idle it seemed good next start when cold idle was way to high once warm all good. ride for a minite giving it some band come to stop pull in clutch revs high then idle comes down.

my air screw dsnt have much afect untill wound pretty far in im pretty sure. (not certain how far in) idle lowers...

i found with choke on when cold it reved higher.

bigger or smaller pilot needed?

cheers hagen

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Sure sounds like an intake leaking a tad. Get it to idle, and spray some non-chlorinated brake cleaner around the carb, intake, reed area. Next would be the ignition side crank seal. If its the leak, the revs will rise. The erratic idle usually means its lean on fuel, if it was rich and you pull the choke, it will get blubbery and die. Or the pilot is off 2 or 3 sizes.

Nov 8, 2010
ive read it and honestly at the end was confused as all hell so i know whats going on and have ASKED DO YOU GUYS THINK 1 UP OR 1 DOWN TO HELP ME. please give me an answer and why. i shall try it. and take it on board.

cheers

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Based on everything you've posted it sounds like you have an AIR LEAK that needs to be addressed. If you do have an air leak and jetting won't fix it.

Go back and read what Foxforks posted.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
One step at a time. Check for air leaks first, as Rich and Foxforks advised.

For jetting, it's hard to say "up or down", we will need more info before going there.

Nov 8, 2010
carb boot seems okay there is the tiniest tare in the verry outer lip of the crank seal aprox 5mm long spose id beter replace it aye?.

could be the cause??

im kinda leaning towards jetting being wrong over air leak for these reasons.

on the old setup when it had a 50 pilot i didnt have this trouble and i havnt touched the crank seals or carb/reed seals since then. onli steped up jet to 52.

maybe time to try a 48 or should i go 1 by 1

Nov 8, 2010
sorry fox didnt even think of that lol. looks pretty black. i tried a half throttle plug chop a few days ago and it was cardboard ish but since i just been cruising round havnt really been wot to much

IMAG0090.jpg

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
EncyclopediaRonnie said:
ive read it and honestly at the end was confused as all hell so i know whats going on and have ASKED DO YOU GUYS THINK 1 UP OR 1 DOWN TO HELP ME. please give me an answer and why. i shall try it. and take it on board.

cheers

very difficult to try and fix something sometimes when it is right in front of you , let alone from the other side of the internet...do you th ink these guys are pulling your chain or do you think they are trying to send you in the right direction.

"carb boot seems okay there is the tiniest tare in the verry outer lip of the crank seal aprox 5mm long spose id beter replace it aye?.

could be the cause??

im kinda leaning towards jetting being wrong over air leak for these reasons.

on the old setup when it had a 50 pilot i didnt have this trouble and i havnt touched the crank seals or carb/reed seals since then. onli steped up jet to 52.

maybe time to try a 48 or should i go 1 by 1"

if the last thing you did was richen up the pilot and the problem got worse why didn't you start there and go back....if you read the different jetting threads I am sure you read more than once "try one thing at a time and see what it does so you dont' get lost"...

and you have a tear in the main seal? :bang: next thing you will be telling us is that the air filter needs to be cleaned and the silencer needs to be repacked

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm curious, how did you find the tear in the crank seal? You either had the inner clutch cover off along with main gear, or you had the flywheel pulled off. Wondering which side has the tear. A 5mm long tear would be HUGE in a crank seal.

Nov 8, 2010
flywheel side poped the flywheel and stator plate off and had a look as air leak was sugested. id thought it would munch oil if otherside. really dont wanna pull clutch down lol

ill try get a pic

Nov 8, 2010
okay new left side crank seal is in, advanced timing maybe 3 degrees and bike is agaion runing.

BUT, i fired the bike up maybe 3 kicks i wound the idle screw all the way out and it ran pretty sweet but smokey but expected that. it started to clear alkso expected. l;et it warm for say 30-45 secs then went down the street just cruising still cold, turned around in culdesac went to open the throttle a lil and it bogged... the no go sorta bog and died out. it didnt rev up so i didnt think it ran outa fuel if anything it over fueled it?

pissed of i pushed it up the hill and driveway and went to work. since ive kiced it and few kicks and she runs maybe 20 seccs max and it bogs out again. WTF

cheers for help

Nov 8, 2010
well tried runing it again today waited till it died tried kicking it maybe 20 times max no luck pulled plug and from what i can gather my crank seal no longer leaks and ive got way to much fuel so next size pilot done it will be.
pic....
IMAG0121.jpg

plug is wet

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
EncyclopediaRonnie said:
plug is wet

That plug is fouled. Throw it away and get a new one.

Nov 8, 2010
already have i know it fouled just want to confirm why it fouled so i can adjust acordingly i dont wanna chnage a jet if its not what i need to but im pretty sure im to rich/over fueling so jet size change will be 1st thing

Top Bottom