Rog

Oct 21, 2004
Hi guys. New here, seems like a great site.
I have 97 RM250, every time I start it hot or cold I don't need to use the choke. It starts first or second kick idles high for a while then settles into a normal idle. I thought it must be to rich since i don't need to use choke but it doesn't seem to run rich or smoke to much. Theres no spooge or anything in the exhaust. Runs sweetly right throught to top end. Stock jetting is 48 pilot, 175 main, third clip, 1.5 turns on air screw.
It's got a 42 pilot and 2 turns on air screw and the rest stock. The plug for this bike is an R6918B-7 which I think is a 7 heat range but they cost about $120nz so It's got a BR8EIX at the mo.
I'm not really to worried as it's running fine but just wondered if anyone had any ideas on it.
Cheers

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The choke assembly may be dirty and not closing completly. I had a similar experence and found that there was dirt under the plunger that was letting some fuel pass through. It was enough so I could start it without using the choke.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It's running richer than it should and you're not getting the best performance that you could. Also if there is dirt in there that isn't good for the motor

Rog

Oct 21, 2004
Thanks. Checked choke assembly and rest of carb for dirt etc and she's all clean in there. I'm already 2 jets leaner on the pilot so i leaned the needle out 1 clip. I'll try that on the weekend.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
How is the float height? And is the float needle in good shape? Either will let excessive fuel get in the cylinder.

Rog

Oct 21, 2004
Yep checked that too. float height was the right setting (got the manual) and needle looked ok. So other than leaning it out a bit more it's got me beat. Might have to live with it.

newbikekiller

Nov 24, 2004
Sounds like you have the right idea.
What is the average temperature around where you live?
If you were in Michigan I would worry, cuz nobodies starting anything carburated around here without a choke :-)

Rog

Oct 21, 2004
Coming into summer so it's between 15 and 20 degrees c (58-74 F). Is it hotter or colder in Michigan? Just curious.

Top Bottom