KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Great Job by the LMC - I had a blast - a real fun ride!   It was the first time I had seen a "c" only section though - I am curious what the rational was in doing that?  I think it is likely a good idea in that it might attract more new riders as they will be more comfortable knowing they are not having to face was a AA rider would!  (plus it made for a nice easy section for me to ride!)

I also owe Circuit Rider a huge thanks!  I camped with the family north of the club grounds on county line road.  As I went to ride to the club grounds for the riders meeting my bike would not start - float had stuck.  I did all the usual stuff to try to get it running (new plug bla bla bla) to no avail.  Circuitrider happend by on the way for a pre ride, stopped to see what was up, and go the bike started with just one or two kicks (after hundreds I did!).  He just has the "touch"!  Thanks!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
KTMMike,  Circuitrider (aka Pastor Mike) would probably call it divine intervention!

I did not see you as we rode by, but I did see Neal.  I waved, but I did not realize my dad had stopped to help.  Glad you had a good time.

I was not involved in the C only section, but I will pass along the positive comments.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by fatherandson
KTMMike,  Circuitrider (aka Pastor Mike) would probably call it divine intervention! 

I was not involved in the C only section, but I will pass along the positive comments.

I would like to hear more about this! How many miles, same coarse? Aaron & I couldn’t make it this year because it was on race weekend for MIS. And his boss wouldn’t let him off work.

Last edited:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Thanks guys. I was SO close to C High Point, but maybe next time! Looks like I will be heading to Indiana in October and November to race the last 2 D-14 Enduros.

The C only loop was the best ORV trail that I have ridden on in a long time. Out of the 12 (I think) miles of trail, i only dropped 2 points. Not too bad.....

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
We had a great time at the JP/PC enduro! The LMC and all the volunteers do a great job of making this a well-organized event. But really, who wouldn’t enjoy a 6:30am wake-up call by Virginia on a bull-horn!

Ran the Pine Cone on Saturday with Zach. Lots of sand for a slow-moving XR-70, but lots of fun trail and logs to cross too. Zach fell about 25 times, always in the soft sand, but made it up every hill climb – sometimes on the bike, and sometimes running along side of it with the throttle pinned! After getting close to finishing the 46 mile (actual) loop, we were having such a good time that we continued on with an additional 22 miles! The KDX had to go on reserve at about the 60 mile mark, but the XR-70 never even hit reserve! After 68 miles and 6 hours on the trail, Zach was pretty well cooked, but proud of the accomplishment. He did want to quit a few times, but kept plugging along (actually I didn’t know how to get back other than the arrows, so we had no choice!).

It was a cool experience working the checks for the Jack Pine and watching all the riders come in…. or in some cases trying to avoid coming in hot! I wish I had that problem… :think:

Cool Moment: Watching the kid on the trials bike wow the crowd, and making it look easy! He put a 2’ x 10” diameter log 5’ in front of an XR-70, and bump-jumped the log and launched his Sherco over the XR-70. :worship:

TD: Congrats on the 1st place finish! And 9.3 seconds from hi-point… pfttt! Mr. B 4-Stroke!

Loctite: Another nice solid podium finish… must be the bike, huh ;)

Magoo: Just so you can keep practicing, we’ll trade you some of our sugar sand for a few of those moon rocks. :aj:

Team Marsh: Always up near the top of the list (and Bryan even with a bum clutch). Don: Better block-out your calendar for the awards banquet… and congrats on PW-50 news! Will a porta-crib fit in the Team Marsh trailer?

Fred T and Chef Fender: As always, strapping on the feedbag over at the Thompson compound is a treat – thanks!

FatherandSon: Thanks for the lobbying effort. The trophy rode in the backseat on the way home, and now sits next to the one from the Mini-Moose. Zach says that we have to ride in the field by our house every day now to practice for enduros!

To pass time on the drive back home, we ran parts of it like an enduro. We’d pick a mile marker or other landmark/intersection as a check, then each of us would pick an estimated time that we’d hit that milestone. 1 point assessed for every minute late, 2 points for every minute early, and we kept tallying the scores. Try it on your next drive up north; it beats the mindless A-B-C game!

It was good seeing everyone else up there as well… see you on the trail!

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Smit Dog, I remember playing that game with my dad on the way to the races.  It was back when the speed limit was 60 mph and we used the mile markers on the highway (1 mile every minute).

Glad you and Zach had a good time!!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Drew 674
link to coverage....http://www.lsj.com/news/local/030818_race_1b.html

Hey - I am in that pic in the lansing state journal - see me in the background, a respectfull distance behind the fast guys?  (there was no way I was gonna let myself end up in front of them right off the line!) When ever we came out of a reset or gas etc. I would manage to hang with them for a few minutes - managed to zero a check by simply following them in!  They both are quick, and sure seemed to simply be having some fun.

70 Marlin - I dont recall the distance of the C only section, but what they did was early on the B and C riders split off from A/AA, and rejoined, then the C only split off and rejoined again.  The C only section was some wide, not particularily whooped out ORV trail - easy to make some time on (even for a pathetically slow guy like me!).  there also was a fair bit of two track that you could make up some time on as well.   I suspect it must complicate laying out a race quite a bit when you have various classes split off here and there.

Of any race I have been in (not that many) this likely would of been the best one for a new racer who wanted to step up from the pinecone type events (I do think we need more of those as well to get more people into the sport - and to help us fight for more access to trails etc.)

f&s - yup divine intervention alright.   I think your dad mentioned that in fact after he got my bike started. He just "knew" he would get it going!  I saw you ride by and wave - but I dont think it was clear then i was stuggling to get the pumpkin rolling.  By the time your dad happened by, it was clear (we were trying to bump start (unsucessfully!)

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
A BIG Pine Cone THANK YOU to DRN's very own Wardy!!  Last year he donated over 100 trophies that we used in the awards presentations at the 2003 Pine Cone.

Thanks Wardy!!!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by UP Magoo
...I didn't get a trophy -- but I DID learn and improve my sand riding skills!
Magoo

Attachments

• magooatjackpine.jpg
    magooatjackpine.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom