coperam

Mar 12, 2001
I have a 2001 cr250 that I crashed over the weekend. See post titled, "1st time on track" for more info.

Anyway, I dinged the stock pipe. Should I replace the pipe with another stock pipe or go for the fmf sst pipe? I've heard the stock pipe is just as good or better than an aftermarket pipe but the aftermarket pipes that I saw are cheaper than the $240 stock pipe.

And lastly, does anyone else use pipe armor or a guard? Do they work? The stock pipe seems to be paper thin. I don't want to get another pipe just to ding it again.

p.s. edited for incorrect link, sorry.
thanks,
coperam

Last edited:

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
You dont have to replace the pipe every time it gets dinged. You probobly wont notice a loss in power even. If its crushed all the way in to the point where air cant move through then you should replace it. PC pipes let the bike revv a lot higher and i like them better then anyone elses. Get a PC when your pipe gets really really bad, and if your aftermarket pipe gets bad, check out ,www.piperepair.com . Thats good to do with aftermarket pipes to retain performance. Dont worry about fixing a stock pipe just wait until the stocker gets real bad and get the Pro Circuit.

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks for the reply FMX_novice

Actually, the pipe is almost creased since the pipe hit a nice size rock and several smaller rocks..lol.

My problem is: I like the stock pipe and don't know if I want to get an aftermarket pipe. I am considering sending the stock pipe to piperepair and then using a pipe guard over it. I'm just not sure how well a pipe guard would work and I haven't seen anyone around here(PA) using one to ask them.

thanks,
coperam

Racinante

Oct 3, 2001
I just purchased a 1991 KX 250 that had a pipe guard on it. I think all the guard did was cover up the degree of damage on my pipe. I really didn't think it was that pinched until I pulled the pipe guard off. Then I could clearly see that it was also cracked. If you are worried about dings from rocks, it might help. But, if a boulder decides to jump up and suck you to the ground, a pipe guard is just gonna hide the damage until you get home. Besides, these platinum pipes look so good without a nasty guard covering them up. Save your money!

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks for the reply Racinante

You're right. The platinum pipes would look better without a pipe guard.
Did you think the guard was put on after the pipe was damaged to cover it up or do you think the impact transferred around/through the guard?

I still haven't decided if I will go with the stock pipe and a guard or just get an aftermarket pipe.

thanks again,
coperam

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
Originally posted by FMX_novice
You dont have to replace the pipe every time it gets dinged. You probobly wont notice a loss in power even. If its crushed all the way in to the point where air cant move through then you should replace it

I agree that you don't need to replace or repair a pipe for every little ding. But, a pipe will need attention long before it's "crushed all the way in to the point where air can't move through!" Even moderate dings will affect pipe performance. I wouldn't bother with really small dings, but if the pipe is dinged up pretty good, you most certainly WILL see a change in performance. Regarding buying a stock pipe, I WOULD NOT buy a stock pipe from a dealer. There's a ton of people who put aftermarket pipes on their bikes. You could pick up the stock pipe and silencer for probably less than $100. Just post in the "For Sale/Wanted" forum that you're looking for a stock pipe for your bike. However, don't discount the aftermarket pipes. Both PC and FMF make an excellent product. Getting an aftermarket pipe is a fairly decent "bolt-on" performance enhancer. (However, some might argue that a decent port-job combined with the stock pipe and silencer is a better option. And cheaper!)

Just my thoughts.

Racinante

Oct 3, 2001
The guard was definitely put on before the accident. I don't think it would be very easy to mold the guard in the manner that it was bent. It's pretty tough metal, but it can't withstand the force of a crash. If you trail ride, it will keep a stick from coming up and putting a dent in it though.

I replaced the FMF pipe that had the guard on it with a DG (because the DG was a lot cheaper than another FMF). But, I've decided to keep the FMF and get it fixed to use as a spare. You could buy an FMF (or Pro Circuit) and get your old pipe fixed for the same price as a new original pipe. I tell you, that platinum looks really sweet!

Top Bottom