Plastic Welder

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I clipped a tree this past weekend at an Enduro and ripped my radiator shroud off. The shroud is still in good condition but the bolt holes got broken out. I was thinking about investing in a plastic welder to repair this damage and any future minor damage that may occur. Anyone have any experience/opinions of these?

Last edited:

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Shrouds are probably cheaper than the kit you would buy to repair it. The only downside is that you don't have the graphics on new plastic. After my current graphics get messed up, I am going with plastic only. Graphics IMO are a waste of time when the bike is covered with mud anyway.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
My brother in law borrowed a plastic welder from his dad to repair his rear fender. It didn't work to well he might have been using the wrong filler rod but it lasted about one ride.

Steve

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
I dont know if this will work, but it is worth a try:

Walmart sells some epoxy called "Plastic Weld" that works awesome on streetbikes. It bonds so well, it actually acts as if it were originally molded with the plastic. Problem is, it works for streetbikes because it hardens just like sportbike plastic, and may be a little too hard for a dirtbike. I would think it is worth a try, though. It comes in one of those double-pump 2-part epoxy tubes.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
My brother in law(being a cheap SOB)ended up drilling corresponding holes on each side of the crack and used zip ties to "stitch" it back together. That was about four years ago and he is still using the same fender.

Steve

inolen

Aug 3, 2003
splatt said:
My brother in law(being a cheap SOB)ended up drilling corresponding holes on each side of the crack and used zip ties to "stitch" it back together. That was about four years ago and he is still using the same fender.

Steve

I do that on my r6 day in and day out, plastics are expensive!

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Dewey,

I am wondering if it was the same tree I clipped at that race last year. I lost and broke a couple of pieces of plastic there last year.

Randy

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
What Splat said. But I use a tiny drill bit and tie wire. My back guard looks like Frankensteins forehead. I also am a "cheap SOB".

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
My plastic welder should be in tomorrow. http://www.urethanesupply.com/5500ht.html. It retails for $200 but I'm getting mine at cost ($100) from a buddy of mine who sells them. I've heard pretty good things about them. I know two guys who have used this same welder to repair gas tanks and it worked fine. I think you can get them on cbay for around $120.

I'm a cheap skate when it comes to cosmetics, but I don't mind spending the dough on mechanical stuff. I'm getting ready to revalve my suspension $ouch$.

I just can't see making my bike look good to go bang it up in the woods. I'll replace the plastic when there's nothing left to tie wrap.:aj:

Randy, it may have been the same tree. There was a pretty big gouge in it after I tagged it and it looked as though there may have been some scar tissue underneath.:laugh: Didn't see any orange remnants though.

I rarely get upset but that set me off. Especially when there was a check less than a mile away.:whiner:

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…