Please help, Bike won't start after rebuild....

Jul 16, 2006
I bought this 1989 yz125 as a basket case bike. I basicly have rebuilt everything you can rebuild on it. I tried to fire the bike up for the first time and it started then quickly died. The only thing that I did with the Carb was clean it really well. When I turn the petcock on to give the carb gas the over flow in the bowl runs gas out constantly. Would this be why it won't run? I've got spark, compression, and all that stuff. When I pull out the Plug after kicking for about 10 min. It was obviously wet with fuel. I'm thinking that the chamber is getting too much gas, is it because of the carb dumping fuel out of the overflow? How do you adjust the float if that's what needs done? Sorry so long. :blah: please help, there is nothing more frustating than spending all winter as well as lots of money for the bike not to run! :bang: :bang:

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
cdorsey50stang said:
I bought this 1989 yz125 as a basket case bike. I basicly have rebuilt everything you can rebuild on it. I tried to fire the bike up for the first time and it started then quickly died. The only thing that I did with the Carb was clean it really well. When I turn the petcock on to give the carb gas the over flow in the bowl runs gas out constantly. Would this be why it won't run? I've got spark, compression, and all that stuff. When I pull out the Plug after kicking for about 10 min. It was obviously wet with fuel. I'm thinking that the chamber is getting too much gas, is it because of the carb dumping fuel out of the overflow? How do you adjust the float if that's what needs done? Sorry so long. :blah: please help, there is nothing more frustating than spending all winter as well as lots of money for the bike not to run! :bang: :bang:

The carb is dumping that fuel because your carburetor float level is set incorrectly. This is causing the flooding. It's easily corrected. Simply adjust the float level and you should be okay.

If you need some information on float levels, refer to:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/tech_tips.html and look up the float level link

Jul 16, 2006
Thanks for your post but I figured it out. I got to thinking that mabey the air / idle adjust screw wasn't set right. That's what it was! She is running awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Its great that you got it started but if there is gas pouring out the vent line of the carburetor then you have a problem that needs to be fixed.

As Mandark said, it could be that the float level is adjusted incorrectly. It could also be that the float valve isn't shutting off and needs to be replaced.

Rod

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
when u adjust it your bike will run so much btter. Id know because i had that same problem, at first i thaught it was my drain screw but it was actually th float level.

Top Bottom