Please Help! DRZ400E Problem

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I just bought an '00 DRZ400E Sat. Have ridden it more than once every day since. Tonight I wheeled it out of the garage, turned the fuel on, pushed the button and boom, started right up. I let it idle and warm up. Then I touched the throttle and it died. Started it back up, barely touched the throttle and it died again. It was harder to get started after that. For a while, it would not start at all. I tried with the petcock in the ON pos. and RES. pos. I tried choke, no choke. It finally started. I could very easily roll on the throttle. Anything more than a very easy roll killed the engine. It sounds like a fuel issue to me, but why all of the sudden. Less than 24 hrs has passed since it was ridden last with the same fuel(93 pump). Anyone else had this problem or know how to solve?

Also, I let it sit for a few hours and tried it again. Started right up. I took off and it seemed fine. Then it died. Started the whole process over. Started pushing it home. As I stopped to rest, I hit the button and it started right up. Rode about 75 feet, it blurbed and backfired as I blipped the throttle on and off and then died and wouldn't start again. Seems that heat may have something to do with it. These bikes don't have any sensors that will disable the ignition do they(low coolant, low oil). I haven't checked any fluids yet.

Last edited:

B

biglou

Cal,

I have had mine act up every now and then, but never for as long as you have described. I first thought that maybe the fuel screw had "walked" on you but it wouldn't just move or fall out while sitting overnight. It sure does sound like a fuel problem. Those pumper carbs have lots of parts, including diaphrams and things that I don't even pretend to understand. As far as sensors go, there is a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and there are a couple of electronic modules, one on the sub frame just above the left footpeg, and one under the seat just on top of the airbox. Exactly what they do, I don't know, but I do have my manual here at work so I will see if I can find anything for you. I will Email if I think I have found anything, and I can fax you the page(s) from the manual.

I had the Yosh pipe and a 168 main jet and mine was very cold-blooded when it came to trying to touch the throttle before full warm-up. After warming up, no problems. I wish I could be of more help. For now, all I can offer is to go here: www.thumpertalk.com and register. There is a DRZ-specific forum there that has a wealth of info and very knowledgeable members. You can go to "Profile" to edit your profile to have the same password as you do here. That's what I did, makes things much less confusing! Good luck!:)

Thought of a couple of things: Check all of the vacuum lines on and around the carb. There are a bunch of them. There are some small diameter ones that relate to the coasting enrichening system. I have accidentally knocked one of these off while doing maintenance before.

I have found some usefull info in the manual. Email me a fax number if you have one and I will send these pages over to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Have you cleaned the air Filter? That would cause it to run really bad if it were clogged. If it was dusty out, after a few rides it could be clogged. I would also check the plug. It would not hurt. Also I know that the street models have a netural switch and a kickstand switch that can keep it from starting also. I dont know it the dirt only has them or not. I'm realy not sure how they function, but it might be something there. Good luck.

Ervin

Nov 12, 1999
Cal Check spark plug I've had mine do that on three different occasions, The plug would look wet. A new plug takes care of the problem or dry off the old plug with a propane torch. Ervin

borsy

May 17, 2000
Sounds like the accelerator pump rod isn't seated properly, if the carb was
messed with by changing jetting, then when somebody tries to put the
2-halves back together, they must make sure the pump rod, gets
inserted properly, if its cocked it will hang up, and when you even touch
the gas it will do exactly what your is doing. Borsy

webbrace

May 18, 2000
It sounds like you sucked up some dirt, or somthing, into the pilot jet. Pull the Pilot jet out and make sure that it is clean.. You can try to drain the float bowl first and see if that works.But if its stuck in the jet it may not drop out.

Hoop

Apr 28, 2000
1. Make sure the hot start button is in.
2. Could be the carb float is hanging up. A friend had this happen on his bike. After changing the jets, somehow got the plastic guide in the bowl bent and it was hanging up the float.
3. After taking the carb off, and putting it back on, I somehow bent the idle setting screw that stops the throttle wheel from going fully closed. The bike would start from cold, but once warmed up, it would not idle, and once it was warm, it would not re-start. You have to take the seat off to check this.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for all the help!

I thought I just had bad gas at first, but I drained the tank and refilled with fresh 110 octane race fuel and had no luck...same thing. It has to be something in or on the carb. I just don't understand why it would start all of the sudden after sitting for 24 hrs. Trash in the pilot was my next thought after the fuel checked. Hoop, your #3 describes it exactly, but the bike hasn't been touched by me and the carb was rejetted months ago. I didn't have time to mess with the carb today but I will tomorrow. The thing scares me half to death-all those hoses and gadgets. Alot more complex than my 'ole PK on the KX.

Here is a couple of dumb questions. Where is the pilot screw? All I can see on the carb is a black knob that appears to be the idle adjustment??? It is on the left side just above the bowl.

Where is the hot start button? Is that the black knob I am seeing?

OK, never mind, I found out what the black knob is. But I don't see a pilot air screw or hot start button.

Last edited:
B

biglou

Cal-There is no hot start button if it's an "E" model. The black knob is indeed the idle speed adjustment. The manual has some great info on the fuel circuit and also some troubleshooting steps. There are also great diagrams and theory of operation sections. Like I said, if you want, I'll copy and fax them to you. Couldn't hurt. BTW-I'm gonna copy them and put them in with the plate/clamps I am sending you so you will have it for future refernce.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks BigLou

I emailed you my fax # this morning. I guess you didn't get it. I will send it to you again.

Top Bottom