Status
Not open for further replies.

turboandy

Jan 3, 2003
I am not allowed to unsubscribe my profile to stop mail being sent to me. Please do this, Thanks.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Ooooh! You didn't read the fine print when you signed up. You'll have to send $1000 to Okie, name your first born after him, and give up sex for the rest of your life..........

Sorry! :whiner:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Done

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
You can do this yourself, by opening the thread you wish to unsubscribe from, selecting "Thread Tools", selecting unsubscribe, and POOF, its gone!!

You can get a list of threads you are subscribed to under User CP, in the subscription folder, and unsubscribe as you see fit, using the above method, from the threads you no longer wish to receive notification from.

dang, I'm developing a moderator mindset!

Robert

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
Can you unsubscibe me from the hundreds of pieces of spam I get a day that would be great, also unsubscribe me from taxes and I will send you that $1000. :thumb:

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
I found that by using a word list based spam filter, and using the words " hi hello hey yo buy get", the names of every drug advertised in the Superbowl and the evening news, the names and nicknames of the male and female genitals, my spam has been reduced by 100%!!

I am using a screen name for experimental purposes, and as the stray spam gets through, I add to the list. When I invite someone to email me, I ask that they use a specific subject line that identifies the email and avoids the filter. When the list seems complete, I will use it on the other screen names. so far, so good!

Taxes? Your on your own!!

Robert

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Okiewan said:
Uh... Unsubscribe what?
Kawadougie wants you to unsubscribe him from your site: dirtrider.net. I don't know what happened, something about not being able to view photos or something. When he sought out help, he felt that he was treated less than fairly. It escalated to where he was so frustrated with the run around that he wants to withdraw his membership and stop the automatic paypal payments to your site. Doug has been a member here for some time. Too bad this had to happen. I know all this because we went riding today and I asked him why the dirtrider.net decals he usually has on his front fender were in the trash can when I went over to his place.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I found one post about it, he was directed to a post that has the answer to his browser (cookie) problem. That was run-around? There is no such email address he sent the question to.

His subscription will be canceled as soon as he can get me either the email address he uses at paypal (it's not the same as the one he uses on DRN), or sends me the paypal transaction number.

Last edited:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Okiewan said:
I found one post about it, he was directed to a post that has the answer to his browser (cookie) problem. That was run-around? There is no such email address he sent the question to.

His subscription will be canceled as soon as he can get me either the email address he uses at paypal (it's not the same as the one he uses on DRN), or sends me the paypal transaction number.
His post you found was replied without any explaination by Big Lou and then closed, just a link to another thread. Then I guess Big Lou closed his thread and he couldn't reply that he still had troubles. The second thread had Rich point to yet another thread that, when followed still did not let him view photos; as others have also pointed out within the 2nd thread. The e-mail he attempted to send was one that, if it was no longer valid should maybe have been pointed out in the reply what e-mail to address his concern to.
Yes, I would call that a run-around.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Skip,
For what it is worth I think Lou was trying to help. He pointed Doug to a post that he thought had the answers to his problem, it didn't but it did have a link to the answer that Rich provded. I really don't see how this is "runaround"

By definition:
runaround -- run·a·round n.
1. Deception, usually in the form of evasive excuses.

I don't think it was Lou's intention to decieve anyone he just answerd a question by pointing him to another thread, that Doug could have found himself if he'd have looked.

If Doug had looked before he asked by doing a search on "photo album" and the search took him to the thread that Rich tried to help in by giving a link to the answer to this problem. Would it still be run around? If so who would be responsible for the runaround? Doug, because he initiated the search? The search, for pointing him to a post that would point him to a different post? or Rich for pointing him to the answer?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
skipro3 said:
Yes, I would call that a run-around.
You see a run-around. I see someone who got the answer they were looking for and when they were incapable of following the instructions they became frustrated, decided it was personal and took their ball and went home. Of course that's just my take on the situation from what I've seen. Everyone elses perception or take on this may vary.

B

biglou

Wow, we're getting a little sensitive here, aren't we? I linked him to a thread where I had just answered, for the umpteenth time, the same question. That's all there is to it.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Doug didn't know the question was answered for the umpteenth time, Lou. All he knew was the last time he tried to access photos it worked, this time it didn't. When he posed the question as to why, all he got was a link. You might have added an explaination that the link would help him, which it didn't but Rich's post within the link, leading to yet another link should have helped him. Again, it didn't. But now since his origonal thread was closed, he couldn't report this back. (Without starting all over again) An e-mail link he thought was correct, and was evidently some time in the past, went unanswered until Okie responded to my post saying it wasn't valid.
Doug is a very resonable man. I have seen him spend hours debugging code on proprietary programs that would have had me in tears. He never could get photos to work properly and just to be pointed to a link that didn't work for him and then have his thread closed so he couldn't continue the troubleshooting with some staff within, well, then yea, I guess I could see how you might think he took it personal and went home. He didn't take it as personal. Quite the opposite. He took it as indifference to someone financially supporting your site.
Thump, my def. of run-around was to be handled in such a manner as to not listen to the customers complaint AND help him to successfully find a solution, but instead to let the customer in this case, hunt and peck around until he could stumble upon the solution, (run a search as Thump suggested) or worse, lead him in a direction that doesn't solve HIS problem. I'm pretty sure Doug thought he was getting the run-around because he tried posting a thread, your links, your links to links, the deleting of cookies, the closing of his thread, sending an e-mail, and still he couldn't get a photo.
So he took his ball and went home.
Now, I know how these arguements end up. You stand by each other as friends should. I am doing the same here. I don't have a beef with any of you, or your site. My friend, who lead me to this site, does and I can see his point, even if I might not agree with his method of resolving it.
The only reason I am even intervining here is that I thought you might be interested in why you lost a support member. (read: paying customer) If you don't care, fine. If you want to ridicule him for not being savy enough to figure it out, or being too sensitive that's fine too. If you don't agree with him, o.k. I would hope you take the time though, to understand why he desided this wasn't worth the money anymore.
O.K. I'm braced for the onslaught of feedback. But I don't intend to address anymore replies. Life is just too short to spend anymore time on the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom