plese help!! a clutch and gearbox question

Azz

Mar 8, 2003
O.K...I can't figure out what's happening here. I can change the gears on my bike without using the clutch..I've only done it with the chain off for obvious reasons, but why is this happening? The clutch also doesn't seem to be doing anything when i pull it in. It feels very responsive when you pull it, and it flicks back really nicely, but when it's in gear and i pull it in, it doesn't seem to do anything at all....the sprocket still spins
Can someone tell me what's happening here? It's the first time i've fired this bike up(It hasn't been used in quite a while). It's a 91 TLM 200(trials bike)..
I'd appreciate any help..Thanx!

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Racers upshift without clutch, they just quickly let off the gas some and upshift, its faster. If there's no resistance on the sprocket then it will spin when bike in gear and clutch pulled in. The oil is kind of sticky between the plates and causes it. Nothing to worry about.

Azz

Mar 8, 2003
hey thanx guys...I'll put the chain on it and everything and see how it goes...
I was just a bit worried that something was severly stuffed up...I might put some new oil in there aswell, what do you think..

Azz

Mar 8, 2003
hey, something is still wrong with my clutch...Is there a chance that it is just REALLY sticky, cause when i pull it in it doesn't do a thing, so i obviously can't ride it until i get it working....Any ideas guys? Thanks for your help so far..

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
my clutch appears not to do anything when pulled in, the bike does not even like to move, or will not move with it pulled in. the bike is a 2 stroke right? I think you need to ride it to losen up them plates. They worked before right? then they should not be wore or anything like that.

Azz

Mar 8, 2003
hmmm...well, i rode the bike around a bit today, still no sign of any clutch...To get the bike going i'd just start rolling forward then pop it into first, and then to stop it just hit the kill switch....I tryed pulling the clutch in but nothing would happen....so i put the front brake on and put the clutch in to try and force it to work, but the back wheel just kept on spinning instead until it dug out bit of a hole....I've run out of ideas besides taking the clutch itself apart...
Also, i can't remember if i mentioned it before, but the bike has been sitting for years...but it's still in really good condition, could something inside sieze up to stop the clutch working??
Thanks so far guys..

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Joepro9
my clutch appears not to do anything when pulled in, the bike does not even like to move, or will not move with it pulled in.
Joe, the bike ISN'T supposed to move when you have the clutch pulled in....... How else did you think it is supposed to work??

As far as using your clutch, if you want your tranny to last you will use it, if you have a $$$$$ budget, then you can afford to trash your transmission.

Azz, I would get your bike started then apply the REAR brake WITH the clutch pulled in. Give it a little gas and maybe it will break free. If it doesn't, then take the clutch apart. Also, make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly.

MikeT

Azz

Mar 8, 2003
thanks for the help guys....I'm just gonna take apart the clutch because the plates have probably just all stuck together seeing as though it's been sitting a while, and then i'll replace the oil....
I've got this liquid gasket glue stuff, do i just put a bit of it all the way around the edge, or dab it in spots.....Also, how much oil you recon i should put in? I don't have a manual so i'm not sure how much is really needed, it's a 200cc 2 stroke, so can anyone give us a rough idea??
Thanks boys!

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
should be on the case in the water pump aread(if it has one) or on the right side case cover. it will be in ccs, with is a Millileter.

Azz

Mar 8, 2003
Hey i figured it all out....I took the side cover off the engine where the clutch is and found that all the plates had stuck together really hard....I had to lever them out one by one....I got some new ones from a spare engine and put them in the clutch basket, it all works good now.....
The thing that is really annoying me is the fact that i can't get the bloody cover back on properly, i'll put it bacl on but ithe clutch lever that sticks out the top and joins onto the clutch lever cable doesn't seem to work, it doesn't have any resistance when you pull it.....I can't figure it out, is it not lining up or something???Cause i tryed it so many times but nothing worked....
The strange thing was, when i pulled the cover off about 5mm(wedged open with a screwdriver) the clutcj lever seemd to work O.K....How does that work??!
Well, if anyone can help us out i would be eternally gratefull, cause i'm loosing patience with it very quickly..
Thanx!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Joepro9
I mean if you push it with the clutch pulled in,
Oh. Gotcha now. That makes sense.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom