Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Good Lord im tired of polishing... Thats all i wanted to say... HeHe! I have been polishing for days on my 96 kdx. Ive did the Kawi link,one motor mount, the triple trees and i almost have one fork done. Soon ill be doing the other fork then the swingarm. Gosh im tired but it looks 100 times better.Anyone that hasnt spent some time polishing should try it,its awesome.. But Beware!!!! Its Addicting and tireing. I was just gonna do a couple small pieces but found myself staying up late makeing lots of noise in my garage. And now i sleep on the couch,,hehe... you know you have it bad when you wake up on the couch,greesy hair, one big pimple sticking out of your forehead, and your clutching parts that you have spent hours on polishing for dear life. Oh what fun!!!! Any comments! LMAO :p

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Do you mean polished like waxing it, or polished to a chrome-like finish? Either way, I bet it looks good. I've spent a lot of time lately on silly things like this. Scrubbing schain/sprockets with a toothbrush, etc... :)

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Sure its a losing battle but i just bought the bike and im not riding around with someone elses dirt on there. I cleaned everything on this bike. It was just a frame the other day when i painted/cleared(powdercoat next year)it. Every bearing was cleaned/inspected and/or replace/greesed. This bike was trashed when i bought it. Things like different footpegs to the pogo suspension. Of course i got it cheap. But i have to send the cylinder out to get it re-plated so while im waiting i figured id clean it up a little.I also bought a few cool things long the way.I had my other bike sitting next to my friends and he had his all polished and i was like WOW, I want that,,, so i am, and Yes i mean chrome looking. Plus my best friend has a kdx 220 so i gotta make him jealous and blind him with all the chrome in hopes that he wipes out(j/k) To some my bike might have been trash but to me,,,,well,,,, its my little Baby Katie!!!! HeHe!! Get it...I see my friends do things to there bikes but if it wasnt for this site, i wouldnt do have the crap i do to my bike. And my friends are like"Hey how did you do that" AHHHH i love that! Thanx everyone, cheers!

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Do you just use some kind of polishing/buffer tool to remove the finish? Any pics?

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Sorry I dont have pics yet but i will when im done.. And yes i use a wheel to polish it but the swing arm and forks you have to use paint stripper a few times to remove that tough coating. All u really need after that is a good drill and you can get assorted wheels to fit it . If you find Cactus Jack on here, he has pics of his bike(in his gallery) with everything polished and its awesome looking.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
My Bad, his name is Cactus Jim and he has posted in the thread named "Rad Valve vs v-force 2' I think!!! but goto his name and hit "my gallery"

jc

Sep 22, 2001
Try polishing the wheels if you want some real punishment. I did it on one of my kdx's and it looked awesome. Wet sand the clear coat stuff off first, then hit it with a dremel tool and some buffing polish. It takes some time, I did it over the winter months when the ice was not ready for the studs. Take your time and you will love it!

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Sorry, I just saw the post...... I stripped the fork tubes, then polished them. What a pain. For the swing arm, when it was off for bearing packing, I just used an orbital sander (mine's call "the mouse") with a point to remove the paint on top and sides only (oh yeah, I also used a small grinding wheel to smooth out the welds before polishing). Then I polished the clutch cover. Almost forgot, I also polished the silencer. Makes it very easy to clean. Click on "My Gallery" below for a few pics. It does make the bike look very "clean".

Last edited:

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Speedy are you using a dual action sander and all of the fine grit paper and polishing compund along with never dull to get it to shine? The previois owner of my CR spent more time polishing it than riding and I have a completely polished aluminum frame. Just wondering,

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
I thought about polishing the rims but i have to buy a new rim for the rear so im thinking about buying some black excel rims. I have one Fork done now and it looks killer. I cant wait to see it on my bike. I think im just gonna do what you did on the swingarm Jim. Im just gonna do the face and the top part of it and call it good for now, cause my little fin-ers are hurting lol. Yea im useing a few power tools to get the job done quicker. I used paint stripper to break down that tough coat that they put on the forks. It went fairly quick. Then i just work my way up in sand paper and then get out the drumel and start polishing it up. There looking great and hopefully it will look as good as Jims looks. Thanx for the shove Jim. I seen yours and said WOW!!! Well i gotta lot of work on it so ill talk to ya all later. Thanx for everybodys help in making my KDX the best looking and runnin KDX in my area.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom