Quinton

Sep 1, 2002
I know that it will be kinda difficult to see where others have their brake petal on the net; but I want to now how you "know" when your rear brake pedal is in the "correct" position??? In other words where it is in relation to your foot while you're riding, either sitting or standing? I have a 92 cr250 & I am 6'3". I have adjusted it so it is a low as it can go, but I still have to lift my foot off of the peg to get the ball of my foot on the pedal to slow down. I know it's just a matter of preference, but is this how you guys have your bikes set up, or is your foot always resting atop the pedal? thanks.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Quinton,
Welcome to DRN, I think you'll find a thousand different answers to this question from just as many members.
Myself, I like the lever cleat about 1/2" below the top of the peg on my YZ, but that's me.
Try the search method above as I remember this being a point of discussion in the past. Good luck.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i for one like it above the peg. if the pedal is below the peg. i cant get to the brake while sitting down. my ankle just wont bend enough. if i leave the pedal even with the peg, i try to throw myself over the bars in the whoops. something about grabbing the brake with the rear in the bottom of the whoop that makes the bike stop really hard. i have to pick up my foot just a bit to get at the pedal. it works for me your mileage may vary.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
I keep it above the peg... I see guys with brake pedals below their pegs and I don't know how you guys can brake properly while standing with the pedal below the peg?

B

biglou

I think Guy Cooper suggested in Eric's book to start out with the pedal level with the foot peg and adjust from there. Sounds reasonable to me.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I like mine a bit below the peg (not much). I rode Bundu-Banshers bike and did not notice his brake peddle was so high above the peg. I came to the first corner and blew it pretty big (good thing there is not a lot of trees out that way) because I was looking for the rear brake. I swung my foot down and there was nothing there, it was just plain strange :)

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I'm like Quintin, I have it as low as it will go and still have to pick my foot off the peg to hit the brake. I have to be carefull when standing not to stand with my toes on the brake pedal and keep my foot angled to the outside. This took a while to get used to because my old CR had a lot of play in the pedal and I could ride with my toes on the pedal and not have to pick up my foot to use the brake.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I usually just leave it where ever it ends up after the crash.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I try to run mine as low as possible, I've got size 14 feet and when it's set as high or higher than the footpeg, I keep hitting it in the wrong situations.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I think Lou is referring to the Donnie Bales/Gary Semics book. I don't have the book with me, but maybe someone else could look it up.

As I recall, Semics recommends setting the brake lever level with the footpeg and learning to lift your foot off of the footpeg when braking while sitting vs. using the footpeg as a fulcrum and trying to brake while maintaining footpeg contact.

B

biglou

Well, a friend bought the Bales/Semics technique book and I borrowed and read it. The tuning book was a gift from Eric for attending DW last year. :) Dollars spent: Zero. Knowledge gained: A bunch!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Unless you are Blue Thunder, then the correct position would be fore the lever to be wrapped around your big toe!

bud

Jun 29, 1999
About 2" above the footpeg for me and I'm 6'3" too. I have to take my foot off the footpeg when I'm sitting down, but you have to do that anyway. To me it's more important to be able to reach the rear brake when I'm leaning way back. Plus since I've had my boot snag on stumps and rocks before, bending it under the footpeg, I can't get comfortable having my toes anywhere below the footpeg.

Quinton

Sep 1, 2002
I was just curious, since the 1st time I had it out I launched it vertical and was too shocked to think to find the rear brake. I don't remember having this "problem" (question) with my old cr125. Thanks for all the quick replys.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I find the expert opinion from the book backwards, but that's just me. Are you sure you read that right? Try pushing the gas pedal in your car with your foot just floating rather than using your heel as a fulcrum. Not too accurate, eh? Pivoting on the footpeg would logically allow more accurate control.

I like to get the pedal set so that I don't have to make a big effort to pick up or move around my foot to hit it. It should be handy and effortless. I cringe when I see guys hitting the rear brake in the air and they are lifting their whole leg way up and then stomping the thing without touching the footpeg...this just isn't right.

Just like suspension, my favorite way to set it is to move it one way a noticeable amount, ride, then move it back past nuetral the other way, see what feels the best, and fine tune it from there. Take notes if needed. Of course, on your test rides get the maximum variety of positions and situations...stand up, sit, etc.

Top Bottom