noobie question - rear brake issue - help please!!

datv

Jun 24, 2005
I'm totally new to this dirt thing, but am very excited to get going with it. I picked up all the necessary gear, and just bought a crf250x today to start on.

I took it out this afternoon to a local park, and ran into a big issue.

When on the bike, the rear brake pedal is set up so that I can't have my foot on the peg without depressing the pedal a bit. I didn't realize this at first, and then it melted off the white plastic rotor protector. It must have gotten so hot from the friction, that the radiant heat just melted it right off.
Anyway, I adjusted the lever down as much as the screw allows, but it still isn't low enough.

Any suggestions? Is my foot position on the pegs wrong? I tried moving my foot around, but If I wanted to cover the brake I had to keep my leg elevated to avoid putting pressure on it. I was told my heel should be right behind the peg. :ugg:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Move it back up until the top of the brake pedal is level with the top of the footpeg. The two things you are doing wrong are sitting and riding on your arches. The shifter should also be level or slightly higher than the footpeg on that side.

When you sit, your toes point down. When standing (with knees partially bent), the brake will be in a more natural positon.

You should ride on the balls of your feet and only move your feet forward to shift, brake, and when landing hard.

If you overheated the brakes that badly, you should have the fluid replaced and bled correctly.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I'm in the same shoes you are datv. I've only had my bike for about a month and a half or so.

I recommend looking for Gary Semics book "Pro motocross and off-road riding techniques"

What felt most natural to me when I first hopped on was to stand/sit on my arches. After reading the book cover to cover (which I plan on doing many more times), he tells you to stand on the balls of your feet.

Shift your feet around. I find it much more comfortable and I have more control. It has a lot of stuff on body position, jumping, cornering, braking, accelerating, etc.

Well worth the $23 I spent.

datv

Jun 24, 2005
Thanks for the advice guys.
I took Danny Walkers American Supercamp, and they were telling us to sit up on the seat, and I'm pretty sure they wanted us to cover the rear brake, which is why I was having such a hard time. As well, I'm a regular trackday rider, and don't even think about using my rear brake when out there - so riding on my toes(balls) is natural. Next time I go out I'll try standing a bit, as well as using the balls of my feet. I'll order that book today!

Top Bottom