Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Well thinking about powder coating my frame this winter :cool: Going to tear the bike down to install the KX forks anyway. What would be a good color? Thinking black or the stock silverish color, any suggestions? Anyone powder coat their frame? or do you consider it a waste of money on a KDX? I plan on keeping this bike..I kept my 85 for 13 years before trying three new 4-strokes.. :coocoo:

Domenic

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've seen one in a gun-metal gray that looked killer.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I was talked out of powder coating my frame by guys I know locally that have done it before (bikes and oval-track cars). It can still chip, scratch, and wear off, just like anything else (but is more durable). And when it does get messed up, it's impossible to fix without re-powder coating.

They all suggested using a good epoxy paint, because you can then sand and blend damaged areas without having to redo everything. After talking to 4 guys seperately that all gave the same advice I decided to listen, my bike will be stripped and painted this winter instead of powder coating, even though I can get it done extremly cheap through my friend's brother.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Last winter we powdercoated my sons 300EX and this past spring, we did my other sons LT80.... Quads look good PC'd! :laugh: Anyway, we did that because, like you, we had planned to keep them forever. Which is not true now since I am on this forum... we are switching to DB's. Anyway to answer your question.

I have found that powdercoat does chip more easily than regular paint. Instead of wearing though like paint, it chips and tears away leaving some places to rust since you don't rub in those places. Regular paint would have stayed on in those areas. Now, I am a backyard PC'r so I may not always be getting the part perfect in tempature or for the perfect amount of time. We PC'd everything! Every nut and bolt with the exception of the swingarm and the a-arms. We just didn't want to mess with the bearings and ruin the ball joints with heat. So, we painted those with automotive quality urethane. Honestly, that is the way to go. PC is nice for some parts, but for pegs or places your boots will rub I would consider leaving alone or going with a different paint. We even painted the 300's side case covers! Looked great then looks good now with the usual wear on the side covers from boots.

Will I PC stuff on the dirtbikes. Probably some, but I won't go crazy. I hope to ride more. Some of my favorite colors for PCing are semi gloss black (looks factory) and silver vein. The candies look great, but take more time and double coats...silber vein looks ever better with clear! I hope this helps.

Oh yeah, if you still want to PC, check out columbiapowdercoating.com. They have the best deal on a starter kit and not a bad price on a bench top sandblaster too.

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Thanks for all the input :yeehaw: Is the stock frame color KX Silver? :think: Maybe I'll just re-paint the frame stock..thanks

Domenic

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
Dale P. from Elitemotorcycletours.com in Utah used to Nickel plate his KDX frames. He told me it was cheaper than powder coating. I saw one of those previous Nickel plated KDX bikes and it looked INCREDIBLE! Its a shame he had to switch to KTM rentals. The KTM's revived his tour business because people just didn't want to ride those "old school" tricked out 1998-present KDX's. The sad thing is that those KDX's were the perfect bullet proof bikes for his tours.

Top Bottom