power valve adjustment question

ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
will adjusting the powervalve to open sooner have the same impact as dropping a tooth on the counter sprocket? i'd like to add a little more grunt, i need to make this thing a 3 stroke!

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
I'm a little unclear of what you want the power to do. I thought the 300's were 3 strokes.
Your counter sproket idea would be drastic. Maybe one or two teeth more on the rear instead would be more appropriate. That's enough to carry a taller gear through turns or help clear obsticales.

Less preload on the p/v spring = more hit, creating more 2 stroke type power. More preload = less hit, more 4 stroke.

I say experiment with it. :D

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I dropped 1 tooth on my counter shaft sprocket on my 250 and liked the effect. It is not a drastic change, but makes it easier to go slow in the tight and twisties, and allows me to run 3rd and even 4th in moderately paced woods. It did drop 10 mph off the top speed, but I dont do 60 mph anyways.
it only cost $13 and I keep the original with me if I need to ride more open stuff. Might be worth considering on the 300???

Top Bottom