76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Anybody know how to test the functon of the power valve governor on a 1987 CR250? I guess I should just pull the cylinder instead of trying to position the rack with it installed. But right now, the valves won't operate. They move fine by hand, but they do not open when revved.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Hey,
Sounds like you have a challenge there. As you stated, the valve itself is moving freely by hand from the cylinder up. So logically, the problem is at the governor or at the engagement point of governor to linkage. I am not aware of an actual test for this. Have you visually inspected it? They are gear driven and you may have sheared some teeth or a key on the shaft. I am curious as what you have found. Good luck.

Mark

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I found it. I've spent the last 2 days trying to set up the power valves without pulling the cylinder. The manual covers how to do it with the cylinder removed, only. I didn't want to buy a head gasket. Anyways, I decided I can pull the cylinder without removing the head. I set up the valves according to the book. I pulled the right crank case cover and found some tabs on a washer were jammed under the actuator for the governor. This took up some of the trave, so when I adjusted the valves to be closed there was not enough travel in the governor for them to open. Everything looks promising right now, I'm going to ride it in an hour but I have to buy oil first. Turns out I have a Wiseco piston and Boysen 2-stage reeds.

Top Bottom