mbl

Jun 12, 2003
I have noticed that few people on this board are actually mixing at 32:1 as the manual for my 03 220 states. Why is that?

Is the manual spec just being very conservitive? I am using Mobile MX2T and I am thinking of mixing at 42:1 or 40:1, as I have seen several suggest through the searches I have done on here. This seems reasonable to me.

Does anyone care to, or have time to comment on this?
TIA,
Brian

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I'm no expert but from what I've read I think it depends on what the oil maker recommends. I'm pretty sure some oils are different but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
There is mucho discussion on this within the history of this site. Lots of factors are considered - type of riding, manufacturers recommendations, etc etc, etc. One thing is for sure, in general, the less oil in the mix, the less lubrication. 32:1 is a standard mix ratio - going with less oil is fine as well, i.e., some manufacturers of oil recommend mix ratio of 100:1. Our bikes run fine on 32:1 and sometimes we mix at 40:1; the only noticeable difference I can see in our experience is there is less smoke from the exhaust.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You WILL make more power with more oil. That's a fact.

Balance is the issue (sez me). Somewhere between more power, more smoke, more plug problems and the least amount oil used (it does cost a good bit), no smoke and error free plug firing is where you probably want to be.

32:1 is certainly safe, and thus 'recommended' by the mfg. OEM jetting is 'safe', too! Doesn't mean that adjustment to both won't be of benefit to you.

Last edited:

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
CANYNCARVR says:
"You WILL make more power with more oil. That's a fact."

....mmmmmh (scepticism here)...

...think we should read:
You WILL make more SMOKE with more oil....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Be skeptical all you want. It's a fact.

It's in a white paper published by McCullough (sp?). It used to be on EGs site. Don't think it's there any longer. RR has referenced it more'n once.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
MUDMAX, you have a bit to learn about what happens when you add more oil without changing the jetting.
Actually it is the other way around, more oil, less smoke as a result of a leaner condition.
And just adding oil alone will increase compression.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
MUDMAX, you have a bit to learn about what happens when you add more oil without changing the jetting.
Actually it is the other way around, more oil, less smoke as a result of a leaner condition.
And just adding oil alone will increase compression.

Totally agree,Viscosity of oil will also raise the static compression also. Example: I gained 5lbs with the 927 after I switced over . Same top end I no longer run the 927 it is a excellent oil just changed for certain reasons. I jumped on the mx2t wagon . I will definetly post on how the motor wears.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Fredette told me when I got my 98 KDX 200 from him to run the cheapest oil the gas station sold at 50:1 using regular gasoline. Thats what he said to do so thats what I have been doing. It seems to work okay, although when I race I run amsoil but I am still at 50:1 and all of my kdxs have run just fine, with little engine wear. My bike runs fine, and in my last race I finished 3rd, and I have never broken down..... Just my $0.02

Ben
311 Little B

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The comment by G. Gearloose
"And since oil typically has more btu/volume than gas, mo power! (if you can burn it)"
has a very crutial qualifier within the parenthisis.
Excessive smoking is a combustion related issue, and the trick to killing it off is finding what part of the combustion process is breaking down when it appears. FWIW, Mobil MX2T seems to vaporize and burn off at fairly moderate temperatures so it tends to be a good choice for those of us who don't keep the throttle pinned all the time. In a nutshell, if it isn't vaporizing, (gas or oil) it isn't burning. AKA spooge

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Skipro3 I concure your observation with MX2T. When I switched from YammalubeR to Mx2T, my effluent turned from wet goo to dry, light black powder with no other changes. Whether that is 'better' for the engine or not, is debatable. I do know the yam2r was very kind to my engine's internals, so we'll see.

Conversly, the last component to vaporize will be the first to condense upon cooler surfaces. Since the oils are made of many components, I find flash point (the first component to flash) doesn't appear to be a good indicator of what happens on the exhaust end of things.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I run 28:1 with Castrol super outboard stuff. I know some will say that is bad stuff but I am not willing to pay double the price in England for what I could buy in the states. The base only sells the the Castrol.
I rejetted for my very narrow riding style, hard on the gas and braking.
No spooge exits my combustion chamber. You know that really helps out with not having to change your mat in the silencer.
I believe most kips problems caused by gumming is from poor jetting.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom