limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
i just bought my first two-stroker (97' kdx220r, bought it 2 days ago) and im not sure what ratio to use. ive heard 40:1,32:1,50:1?? also wich oil is best? i bought some golden spectro(havnt used it yet, but not many people recomend it) should i go with mc-1 or mxt2(ive heard alot of good things about mxt2)???please help me im lost and still awaiting the service manual! thanks for any advice you can give me!

p.s. i especially want advice from 220 owners if possible

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I try to use Mc-1, or Golden Spectro (most place carry Golden Spectro around here). I one of the little containers with 4.5 gallons of 92 octane gas. I don't know what ratio that is though. Oh I use the mix in an 89 Kdx200 and a 90 Kx500.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
TransAm77: Since the little container of Belray MC-1 is 12.8 onces, and there are 128 onces in a gallon: Your ratio is 45:1

I use Belray H1-R at about the same ratio. Have had no problems. I was going to try the Mobil MXT2 but i have not seen it around and i got the Belray H1-R at half price during a wharehouse close out ($2.43 per 12.8oz container) so i bought a bunch.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
limitless,
I use Maxima fluids @ a 40:1 ratio, if you do a search on this topic you'll find that there is a lot of dispute on the the correct ratio, go with what works for you, your riding style and your check book if you go too lean. Good luck, remember that if you're fouling plugs work to correct the carb. issue vs. the mixture. See ya' on the trails.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I have a 1997 kdx220 that is mostly used for duel sport, and I'm trying an experiment with it since it’s not my race bike. So far it’s running good and have not fouled a plug yet using a cheap B8ES. It has over 900 miles on it. So when winter comes I might tear it down and see how things look, carbon build up, wear stuff like that. Any way the oil I’m using is Super-Tech outboard 2stroke engine oil @50to1. Wal-Mart sells this stuff for around 6$ per gallon! Yes by the gallon six-buck go figure.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Maxima SuperM at 32:1 I feel you can't beat it.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
The best thing that you could do about measuring it is to buy/use a measuring cup that you can buy at most bike shops. It has ounces and what the ratio will be with however many gallons. Then you can use whatever oil you want and not have to worry about messing up how much oil to put in.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
why is Amsoil recommended to be mixed higher than other brands? is Amsoil better quality? i bought my bike from a guy and he ran 40:1 but its smoking alot so im trying 80:1.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Toalco-kdx, Some oils are just more concentrated than others. I would not go from 40:1 to 80:1 with just any oil. I think you should follow the oil manufacturers instructions, or call your Kawasaki dealer for better info.

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
A lot has to do with the oil. Some oils have to be ran at 30:1 for proper lube.
In Amsoils you have two different types of oil you can run.
First the premix 100:1 A lot of guys use that ratio in their bikes and I use it in my plane at that ratio in a Rotec 503 with 180 hours on it with not a single problem running at 5500 rpm for hours on end with a constant load on the engine.
If you feel that isnt enough oil content you can mix it at 80:1 and this is more than enough oil content.
If you are a balls to the wall racer which I am not, tight trails for me,
a person would be best to go with the Sereis 2000 oil and mix it at 50:1
This is for flat out racing situations.
I feel that since Amsoil is the leading synthetic manufacturer they must know what they are doing or they wouldnt be in business.
Less carbon, no power valve gum ups and everything stays cleaner inside. win win situation.
If anybody is interested I can talk to him and see if he can sell or would sell it cheaper to you also. He deals in volume so selling a few bottles I dont think he would mine. Just an idea.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
yea, amsoil is recomended for 100:1 and for high performance engines, like mx bikes, it says to go down to 50:1. Plus, i had oil dripping down my pipe after 10 mins of riding and tons of smoke. thats why im goin to 80:1 or 60:1.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
It’s very interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on oil and ratios what they use and don’t use. My KX/200 has a very old 1989 motor in it that just runs and runs; I do put a new piston and rings in it every 3 years to play it safe. It has had only one rod kit to! The only thing I have against Spectro (60to1) is that after that much time on it, things do have a lot of carbon build up, but as far as wear 60to1 seem to work fine. If you tear your engine apart every year I don’t think it maters what you use, you just have to go a year at a time. You think about it how many 13-year old motors still run, Kawasaki did a good job on designing the trusty KDX! :thumb:

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i've got an 87 kdx200, my dealer told me to run it 20:1, i thought that was a bit rich, but ran it, since it was on the safe side (i guess!!), the got my manual in, and it says 32:1, so i guess my dealer doens't have a clue!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
20:1 is for chainsaws and wheedwhackers.;)

I'd agree...your dealer doesn't have a clue!

Check this out:
http://www.maximausa.com/

Click on <products><two-stroke><super-m> to see:

Usage
Super-M is ideally suited as a premix with pump or race gasoline in virtually all high performance and racing 2-cycle engines.
Recommended Premix Ratios
50-80cc (24-32:1) 125cc (24-40:1) 250cc (24-40:1)
500cc and up (32-60:1)

A point of view from an oil manufacturer...for what it's worth.

Keep in mind that LESS oil (changing from 40:1 to 50:1 for example) is RICHER (more gas) air/fuel-wise. Don't confuse the two: premix ratio and lean/rich air-fuel ratio.

What better way to 'convince' riders that the oil YOUmake is indeed special than to 'recommend' it be mixed at 100:1?

Wow! It must be GOOD!!

Gee..imagine what a rocket you'd have if you used such an oil AND a splitfire plug!! Geez-o-pete-wow!! ;)

Golden Spectro is a known BAD carbon buildup oil.

RE: oil by the gallon.

Do yourself a favor. Buy a quart of premium oil, drain your gas tank of the 'by-the-gallon' stuff, compare your bike's performance 'tween the two.

I'd bet you could tell a big difference. If you can't???...then it don't matter. (that's not an opinion on what oil to use, btw)

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom